Do I need to take a drafting course before l get into AutoCad?

malvern

hie guys am starting my Auto CAD course this week so l was wondering if l can start with a drafting course before l get into Auto Cad !!! THANKS IN ADVANCE

I have renamed the title of your thread. "Help" is not a very descriptive thread title.

When I took an AutoCAD course, back in the mid 80's, manual drafting was part of the course. We would create our drawings by hand and then recreate them on the computer. I guess manual drafting is not considered to be relevant anymore?

Why do you think AutoCAD would be too difficult? Heck, I know kids in elementary school who are learning Inventor and that, in my opinion, is more difficult than AutoCAD. Do you have a learning disability that we are unaware of? I know of two people who did and yet they managed to complete an AutoCAD course.

Remember...you can always come here with your questions. We won't do your homework for you but we will tell you what to do and in some cases demonstrate it as well through images or short video clips. What more could you ask for?

:D owk thanks l don't have any learning disabilities but its just that l have never been in such a field thats all Edited by malvern
missed letter

If you have the desire to learn and good study habits I see no reason why you wouldn't do well in the course.

Where are you located by the way?

BTW...the key to success is practice, practice and practice some more. The more drawings you do the better you will become at doing them and the more you will learn about AutoCAD. Remember it is a life long process as the world of CAD is always evolving. I learn something new almost every day. Most of that knowledge comes from many of the members of this forum. You could not ask for a better group of teachers.

I am familiar with the country. I have a friend and former forum member who lives in Cape Town and works in the petro-chem field designing tanks.

hie guys am starting my Auto CAD course this week so l was wondering if l can start with a drafting course before l get into Auto Cad !!! THANKS IN ADVANCE

To me it is like asking, "I want to be an Accountant, do I need to know Accounting before I learn Excel?". You can learn Excel but it doesn't make you an accountant. You can learn AutoCAD but it doesn't make you a drafter. The two can (and should be) taught at the same time so look for a class or program that does that.

To me it is like asking, "I want to be an Accountant, do I need to know Accounting before I learn Excel?". You can learn Excel but it doesn't make you an accountant. You can learn AutoCAD but it doesn't make you a drafter. The two can (and should be) taught at the same time so look for a class or program that does that.
pretty much what I was thinking.

One would think the fundamentals of drafting, in general, would be incorporated within the AutoCAD class but I suppose that depends on who is teaching the class. If the instructor looks like he should have retired already there is a good chance he put some time in on the drafting board. If the instructor looks like he should be sitting next to you in class then I don't think he would know what a T square, parallel rule, or a drafting machine looks like let alone what they are used for. LoL

When I was in school they required every student do manual drafting before moving onto CAD.

It teaches more than you think. I hated it, but it helps a lot.

What I think is more important, is a good grasp of plane geometry. Knowing that the 360 degrees in a circle are also in every square, and that half of them are in every triangle, and knowing how to break them down is like knowing where the ignition switch is.

I've never taken a drafting or AutoCad course. Once you start to use AutoCad you will find it isn't that hard. My drafting got better with time although it took about a year until I would say I was drafting using best practices. Now-a-days I try to do as little drafting as possible :)

my 2cents is that a drafting course isn't necessary but wouldn't hurt at all....

it's all about conventions that have been set up of the years but still apply to make drawings a 'certain' way. (if your final output is to paper or PDF)

if you notice.... some drawings just look 'right'.