'element 1298047 became corrupt at some time before session'

FIFTHTEXAS

I have just created a new project, linked in a file set up my floor plans etc.

ready now to set up worksharing.

but when i clip on worksharing my pc comes up with this error message.

'ELEMENT 1298047 BECAME CORRUPT AT SOME TIME BEFORE SESSION'

it advises me to open a recovery file, but when i try to save a recovery file i just get another error message and Revit just crashes.

any ideas? why wont it let me save a recovery file?

Do you have a previous version of the file that does open?

Hmmm....I guess you went off to do something else. Here is something I found.

http://blogs.rand.com/support/2013/05/revit-element-corrupted.html

Note a link to another post within the above to the topic "Revit Central File Maintenance" which may be of some use to you. After reading the procedure it makes me glad I'm not using Revit. I can hear Tanner's teeth grinding as I write this. It's an observation....not an indictment.

Edited by ReMark

For every Revit shortcoming, AutoCAD has many of its own. I understand that it is not the best choice for the type of drafting that you do, but if AutoCAD weren't so difficult at times, you wouldn't be so valuable here.

OK...like I said, it was just an observation. Did you read the procedure re: central file maintenance? I can't imagine being in charge of a group of people all using Revit to work on some big project and start running into corrupt element problems. One could spend a good part of a day just putting things back to normal.

ReMark's link should help the original poster. Let's see if that resolves his issue.

As far as maintaining a central model goes, this is subjective. First off, AutoCAD can't allow more than one person in a drawing at a time = Fail. Revit can = Success. You see, Revit is a database at the foundation, and a CAD program was built on top of it. So the central model maintenance is the same as maintaining a database. But these "Warnings" most of the time aren't necessarily "Issues". If you have two objects that you manually overrode the Mark values, it'll throw a Warning but it's nothing more than a duplicate entry in the database is all, not an issue that will cause a model meltdown.

Wanna know what the #1 cause of corrupted Revit models is? AutoCAD imports. #2 reason? Slow connections to the Revit server from clients. Either way, Revit has a built in rollback feature so all you'd lose is maybe 30 minutes worth of real work. And Revit is a very sophisticated application which requires sophisticated attention. ReMark's comment about being glad he doesn't use Revit doesn't even apply to him, because an I.T. admin or BIM manager would be performing this task, never an end user. In fact, there's an entire networking admin side to Revit that end user clients never see or know about, so his comment is moot in the end.

It's odd to me when people criticize something they have no experience or knowledge in. You're still my favorite though, ReMark. :)

Haha, no I didn't, I knew you were being sarcastic. Just hard to see the sarcasm and smirk I had on my face in the last two sentences of my response. *need a sarcasm font*

Yes, BIM manager. Just like CAD manager.... I'm sure you're familiar with those. :)

So let me comment on your "overhead" statement. Yes this is true, but you have to understand why additional overhead is actually a good thing nowadays in the design and engineering industries. With programs like Revit and Inventor on the scene, there's a new type of position that has been popping up called a "data wrangler" where someone basically handles and manages data (data wranglers can be with any industry, not just design industries). Since programs now are being very rich with data and information, connecting these types of programs with scheduling applications and financial applications are becoming a huge need for companies now. You simply can't do this with AutoCAD, because a line is a line, and a circle is a circle, and so on. You'd have to buy or build some 3rd party add on that can generate information-rich drawings from AutoCAD that can be used in connecting with other software, since you'd have to interpolate lines, circles and geometry first. So there's a trend in the industry that's gaining momentum and some programs will simply be left behind.

Had to be a Texan that came up with the title "data wrangler".:P

Fortunately or unfortunately our needs are vastly less complex at the moment. That is not to say they won't change once we decide to go ahead and build our second plant. I'll probably be retired by the time they get around to doing that. Sure hope they decide to use a 3D plant design program and not AutoCAD to handle that little task. Anyway, we need a site plan (for two sites), layouts of each building showing major pieces of equipment and a boat load of process piping and instrumentation diagrams. Those are the three main uses of drawings here.

I've often said, moving away from AutoCAD depends on one's needs. I will say this... in your last sentence you did mention "drawings". This is where people really don't understand why I promote programs like Revit. It's not because of "drawings" but "information". The most useful part of our models is not necessarily in the drawings, but in the data. This is the real game-changer.

Let's take your scenario for instance. Say your company decided to patiently and easily merge your plants into Revit. All information related to the facilities maintenance could therefore be embedded into the model, which you can extract at any point in time. Serial numbers on equipment, change-out dates, scheduling, etc. You can generate any report you would want or need, and it would be spatial too. And it would display as a spreadsheet. It's the harnessing of data that I tend to debate with users of AutoCAD, not necessarily the drawings themselves. It's simply too many words to type to justify my stance, which is why I may correct a few here or there but until you jump into a data-rich design application, you'll never know the full benefits.

Then there's guys like David Bethel who has spent decades making AutoCAD just like Revit, before Revit was even thought of. It would be too much time and money to reinvest all that into Revit when their setup is primarily in-house. I'd never recommend him going Revit because AutoCAD already acts like Revit for them. Anybody that picks up Revit still needs to invest time into making it suitable for them. If you were to do this at your company I'm telling you, hands down, you will be amazed at how efficient and powerful and dead-on accurate you could be. Then you'd have MORE time to spend on CADTutor.net!! LOL....

8)

The problem is over the past 20 years this company has a huge amount of information stored in multiple databases. Who do you think would have to move that information into a new Revit-type smart drawing? Sure hope it isn't me.

Just had to put that last sentence in there didn't you. I'm trying to cut back my addiction. I do go to meetings and my sponsor says I'm doing better but sometimes I have a relapse.