+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Beta Testing

Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Incidentally, I have used 'Show your Stuff' on several occasions. Mixed results.

Luminous Being
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Having been involved in commercial development the licensing is always a big issue, the phone call having problems turned out to be trying to load the software on a friends computer without paying.

The other thing is this software I have developed every man and his dog will want it, 2 copies later !

Like you and others I have posted a lot of stuff that I consider is missing in CIV3d got like one reply.

I suggest the plan of attack maybe here is a big wish list of stuff or what exists now would anyone be interested ? Then build a client base start low cost and as more is added so is price. Start with a google add on describing your software bundle makes sure you have the words Free download, finds free first.

Ps I have used your text to geometry and its great.
    A man who never made mistakes never made anything

Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Thanks Big Al. The ‘Text to Geometry’ routine remains as my biggest seller – if I can say that about a free app. I’m having a hell of a time, though, getting a 2015 update posted due to a couple of somewhat obscure bugs. I think I have everything sorted out, but I’ve thought that before only to have the Exchange find one more issue. Bottom line is that I don’t have the reason, or resources, to run that routine on all possible setups.

All in all, not too tough of a situation with a free app. I’ll just post it somewhere here or at theswamp.org and monitor whatever feedback ensues. It doesn’t really matter if that cost me a couple of additional downloads at the Exchange.

I think Kean Walmsley at Through the Interface mentioned that the Exchange's current sweet spot in pricing was ‘free’. While I do see the value in ‘good will’, a developer would like to think that the process has more potential than that.

Exchange Apps deal with a different type of customer than Mobile/Phone apps. Would ‘in app purchases’ work with AutoCAD users? Or ‘Nagscreens’? Or something totally different? Those types of questions could also be addressed/discussed in this new sub forum I’m suggesting.

Luminous Being
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Probably the most succesfull I can think of was the LT lisp enabler, unfortunately we know what happened to that. The other poster here who is developing a civil suite surfaces, cross and long sections etc is on the right track but there are other low or free ones out there.

One way to market succesfully would be to only do so many, want the unlimited well you pay a small fee. If you want to pursue commercial I would compile to restrict freebie distribution. Something I have been meaning to do was compile a list of all my programs with description, so make some free others if you want again you pay. Or like Lee-mac try donation like shareware if happy please pay.

Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Thanks Big Al. These are the types of issues that all developers would find interesting. Wouldn't it be nice to see a breakdown on the level of success for each monetization method.

A paid app would likely find it difficult to compete against a free app. The developer of a free app, though, would probably limit how much of their own resources the were willing to devote. The user of a free app may be willing to pay $$ for a more complete service. Kind of a tough cycle.

A variation on that dilemma may be driving the multitude of new ways to generate income from phone/mobile apps. Choosing the right one could be critical.

I could see an app's comprehensive beta test including several different forms of introductory modes and/or fee generation.

Luminous Being
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

One I was involved in
    house.jpg

Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Is that to say you were a beta tester during Civil 3D 2011 development?

I participated in the initial Rhino 3D development. Pretty interesting. A lot of forward and backward movement while McNeel and crew sorted the program out. McNeel set up a Newsgroup just to contain all the communication.

At the end of it all Rhino 1.0 (around 1998 ) was offered to all beta testers for 1/4 the eventual sticker price. Pretty good deal all around.
    Last edited by SEANT; 28th Jan 2015 at 10:49 am. Reason: Added comments

Luminous Being
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

No Seant pre Autocad architecture just run on my Civil 3d platform, draws walls, doors windows in smart ways.

Computer Details
    CADTutor's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Motherboard:
    Asus P7P55D-E PRO
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-860
    RAM:
    4GB PC3-12800 C8 Corsair Dominator
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 768 MB
    Primary Storage:
    Intel X25-M SSD 160GB
    Secondary Storage:
    Samsung Spinpoint 320GB
    Monitor:
    BenQ FP241W 24" Wide
    Discipline
    Education
    CADTutor's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Lecturer (Digital Design), Landscape Architect & Web Designer
    Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

I'm happy to facilitate this in whatever way you think is appropriate. If you think we need a new forum on the board for beta testing, that can easily be set up. Just PM me and let me know.
    Tip: Please do not PM or email me with CAD questions - use the forums, you'll get an answer sooner.
    AutoCAD Tutorials | How to add images to your posts | How to register successfully | Forum FAQ

Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

PM sent.

Thanks again.