Career Change

APL4444

Luckily spelling hasn't stopped me finding work 8). You should see the fun I have trying to write in Dutch.

Brother, I spell so bad I think I have a learning disability ;) Good d@mn thing I can draw and make pretty pictures!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• ReMark

• APL4444

• BIGAL

Top Posters In This Topic

Brush those shoes have a shave and go out in the big bad world knock on doors of small companies 1st explain what your trying to achieve in your change of life you never know. I would highly recommend though some classes 1st, see if you can piggy back via a Autocad dealer some classes they are offering generally not cheap but maybe offer if they are short of attendees can come to a better price arrangement.

One of my former staff was told by his boss to go to a CIV3d course, (multiple years experience) the Autocad trainer company pulled him from class (he already knew it) instead offered him a job as a trainer and he accepted. If he never went no new job.

BTW ALP4444...where are you located?

Hi, I live in Washington DC.

In a quick internet research, it shows that a Drafter level I here makes between 40K to 50K. I don't know how accurate that sounds. I also don't know how good the market is in Washington DC.

I guess, my best bet is to go to the school here (Community college) and see what they have to say.

Thanks for all you guys help so far,

:-)

Alex

Edited by APL4444

Hi, I live in Washington DC.

In a quick internet research it show that a Drafter level I here makes between 40K to 50K. I don't know how accurate that sound. I also don't know how good the market is in Washington DC.

I guess, my best bet is to go to the school here (Community college) and see what they have to say.

Thanks for all you guys help so far,

:-)

Alex

Dude, (or Dudette?) I just moved to Florida from your area a couple of years ago, I lived in Olney for 17 years and before that in Oxon Hill and DC, but then from 2008 to 2012 the market for drafters up there was toast.

I feel for ya weather wise. It's sunny, windy, and about 70 degrees here in Chuluota. (Chew LeeOhTa)

That salary range may work at NASA Goddard, or some place else real techie, or high end mfg, but I'd cut that by about 15% for entry level in the building industry in that area.

I moved down here because it is more fun to be dead broke in the sun than in the snow.

I highly recommend an AutoCad 101 (non-3D) drafting class that I took in 2007 at Montgomery College up there about 14 miles north of you, through the adult extension classes. It may still be available, and you don't have to sweat non-res tuition. It is also VA approved. The instructor was awesome, and up to date software. If there was something he didn't quite know how to resolve, he'd go out of his way to get it right. I seem to remember it only costing a few hundred dollars. I can't look it up right now. Also check with the brick & mortar AutoDesk Re-sellers in your area about classes.

They also had a 201 3D class back then.

The Montgomery College course did have at least a pencil & paper drafting class as a pre-req, But if the class is still available and you are good at plane geometry you can get by. You might have to tell them you have the pre-req, but don't laugh out loud when you fib. They don't check it.

Edited by Dana W

Wow !

Thanks a lot for such awesome answer Dana W ! It summarizes everything a needed to know. However, I have to admit that i did not like the "Dread Broke" part of it :-S

So, if i understood you well, i should expect a 34K entry salary in the building field here in DC, huh? How much is the average entry level salary there in the Sunshine state? That is my dream home destination to be realized one day.

I ll investigate all my educational options here. I ll see what comes out from it.

Thank you very much again for your very helpful answer !

Check out this link on the Bureau of labor statistics site.. It was published a few weeks ago. The market around here is a little more recessive than up in D.C. I've seen entry level jobs offered as low as $18.00 Hr., but then there are 1 bedroom apt's available all over around Seminole County for $550.00 to $850.00 a month.

I started out as a fabricator welder when i first left school, after about 10 years, i decided I didn't want to get dirty anymore. i took a 10 week CAD course and never looked back.

I was lucky enough to be give a start with a company I already worked for as a Fab/Welder.

From that I was a CAD Engineer, Design Engineer and I was recently responsible for setting up a companys design department from scratch. My development was though my willingness to learn and develop.

Currently I work for Aggreko as a Mechanical Design Draughtsman and Enjoying myself.

Even without a Degree of any kind, my previous work experience helps me and I find I can contribute alot in terms of Fabricated and mechanical products without academic qualifications.

I guess you could say it was alot of hard work and a bit of luck to get where I am today. :D