Vault Projects - how to use projects & Vault successfully

Doove

Hello world

We are implementing Vault as our document management tool, also handling our Inventor modelling and drawings.

The company is a combination of three seperate companies, all of which manufacture standard products and also design & build custom projects / machines, some with common parts but the most complicated and expensive (and therefore most commercially risky) are completely custom made.

The re-seller is suggesting we set up one Project (.ipj) file in Vault and put everything under that.

I have doubts as I have always been trained to set up a new project for every new project! and new projects for each set or sub-set of products (obviosuly a little commons sense needs to be applied); then handle commonality and standardization by use of libraries.

Any advise or experience would be welcome.

cheers

Doove

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently in talks with our Autodesk reseller as I have been handed the talk to introduce Vault into the company. Currently looking at Vault Professional but as it has turned out the standard vault at this stage may be ok in the short term. I wil be talking the technical team tomorrow so I will put forward you question and get back to you.

Speaking to a Vault expert today he said it is fine to set up 1 project file or you can structure it in more of a windows type file system it does not matter. Vault is very flexible and will work around your needs. Personally I would also structure it the way you suggested and that will be fine. You could if you want have one folder with all your parts (.itp) the pick from that folder to build assemblies. I really can be set to your needs.

The best practice is to set up one Vault. In Vault you can create folders which can define and organize your various projects, just like you would do in a windows type file system, as Lazer stated. It the same best practice of doing everything in Inventor under one Project file. If you set up multiple Vaults and/or multiple Projects in Inventor you'll be forever switching back and forth between Vaults and Projects, trying to locate files and maintain links. it will get convoluted and out of control real quick, especially with multiple users. The need for having multiple Vaults and Projects would be if you need to isolate them, which could be for a number of reasons. Some would be if you do not share data, use different/multiple standards, or need security to keeps others out. You also may need to set up three different vault servers at each of your three organizations sites, if they are in different locations. You can get the licenses and software from Autodesk that will update each vault overnight or however you want to schedule the updates. Then the three vaults servers can be maintained to be identical. Of course that's more dollars, but having users pull Inventor files over the internet from a remote Vault server will get old real fast.