Cannot create construction plane

setspeed

I'm very new to Inventor and trying to teach myself through watching videos online. I've gone through a couple of tutorials that cover the absolute basics (although not enough, judging by how quickly I've got stuck!).

I'm now trying to replicate this model

I have got as far as drawing my 2D sketch, and then extruding the first cylinder, fine.

But I get stuck at 2:18 when there is a construction plane added to the model. I'm not sure why it won't work for me, when I click the 'Plane' button that does highlight, but when I try to click on a line on the model nothing happens.

I'm thinking that it might have something to do with my model not being properly constrained? My construction lines are light blue and not dark blue, when I'm looking at the 3D model.

Also, another problem I have is that when I'm looking at my 3D model, I cannot see the construction lines of my sketch, unless I hover over/click on "Sketch 1" in the tree on the left hand side. Is there some way I can set Inventor to display my sketch lines at all times, whether in the 2D or 3D environment?

Sorry for using any incorrect terminology, I've only just started. If you don't understand what I mean please let me know and I will do my best to clarify, or post pics.

But I get stuck at 2:18 when there is a construction plane added to the model. I'm not sure why it won't work for me, when I click the 'Plane' button that does highlight, but when I try to click on a line on the model nothing happens.

I'm thinking that it might have something to do with my model not being properly constrained? My construction lines are light blue and not dark blue, when I'm looking at the 3D model.

I was successful at creating the plane just like they did in the video with both fully constrained and unconstrained sketch lines.

I'm not sure why its not working for you.

The work around would be to make your origin planes visible

Then in the plane menu choose parallel to plane through point.

Pick the origin plane you want your new plane to be parallel to and then click the point on the end of the line.

that should give you the plane you need.

Also, another problem I have is that when I'm looking at my 3D model, I cannot see the construction lines of my sketch, unless I hover over/click on "Sketch 1" in the tree on the left hand side. Is there some way I can set Inventor to display my sketch lines at all times, whether in the 2D or 3D environment?

Click the + icon next to the feature in the browser that contains the sketch that has your construction lines. Then make the sketch visible by right clicking the sketch and choosing visible. now you should be able to see all the lines that are in that sketch.

Regarding not being able to see a line to click on with the plane tool, is your "Enable Prehighlight" box checked on the colors tab under Application Options? See below:

Highlight.jpg

It's under the Tools tab on the main ribbon, then click Application Options. The above is the dialog box that pops up. Go to the colors tab and verify highlight is checked

I was successful at creating the plane just like they did in the video with both fully constrained and unconstrained sketch lines.

I'm not sure why its not working for you.

The work around would be to make your origin planes visible

Then in the plane menu choose parallel to plane through point.

Pick the origin plane you want your new plane to be parallel to and then click the point on the end of the line.

that should give you the plane you need.

Click the + icon next to the feature in the browser that contains the sketch that has your construction lines. Then make the sketch visible by right clicking the sketch and choosing visible. now you should be able to see all the lines that are in that sketch.

Thank you. I managed to make it work, somehow! I think I wasn't clicking in the right place...

And thanks for the tip about making construction lines visible :)

Regarding not being able to see a line to click on with the plane tool, is your "Enable Prehighlight" box checked on the colors tab under Application Options? See below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52497[/ATTACH]

It's under the Tools tab on the main ribbon, then click Application Options. The above is the dialog box that pops up. Go to the colors tab and verify highlight is checked

Hi, yes "Enable prehighlight" was checked. Thanks for your assistance :)