What's the differences between drawing in "Model" view and drawing in "Layout" view?

junehe

What's the differences between drawing in "Model" view and drawing in "Layout" view in AutoCAD? I have been drawing in Layout view but I see there is a black background "Model" view too for each file. I am lost what does that mean. Thank you so much if you can help me!

Paper space layouts were primarily envisioned as the place where one would put their title block and border. Objects drawn in model space could be viewed from a layout using viewports.

What type of drawings are you doing?

BTW....way before there were layouts there was model space. It was the default space in which the CAD tech would place all geometry, text, dimensions as well as their title block and border along with any notes.

Maybe you ought to read "Model Space vs. Paper Space" by that CAD Girl. Find it here...http://thatcadgirl.com/TechDocs/ACAD/TCG_ModelSpaceAndPaperSpace_Method.pdf

Thanks a lot!! Right now I am drawing 2D technical drawings for product structure only in "layout view". Should I also copy it into the "model" view? I tried to copy them into the "Model" view. But the lines got twisted in that way. I am confused what I should do. Thank you for your help!

Technical drawings. Can we assume these are not "to scale" drawings?

To move objects from your layout to model space use the CHSPACE (Change Space) command. Read about it here...http://www.ellenfinkelstein.com/acadblog/move-objects-between-model-and-paper-space/

If you are still confused then the best option would be to attach a copy of the DWG file to your next post. Do not attach an image because that doesn't do us any good. Someone here will take a look at your drawing and then advise you accordingly. Got it?

Hey ReMark, Thank you for your help! Can you tell me what is "to scale" drawings? Also, I tried the CHSPACE (Change Space) command, but it does not work. It says "There are no active model space view points". What happened? Thank you!