Millwork Draftsman

PaulMacAD89

I am a week away from starting my new job as a draftsman at a local Millwork company in my area. What I am looking for is advice as to I should really be putting the most effort in to learning at first. I will be using Auto-CAD ( not positive what version ).

My background, I graduated in 2007 from a Vocational school in Architectural Drafting we used AutaCAD 2004 - 2007. It has been 8 years since I've really played around with Auto-CAD, I'm sure a lot has changed.The past 3 years I've been working as a Kitchen Designer for a local lumber yard working with 2020.

A scope of work that I will now be doing is shop drawings for custom bookshelves, counter tops, kitchen cabinets, finished wall panels, built in seating, fire place mantles, etc. for commercial new construction projects.

The company knows it will take some time for me to get up to par with Auto CAD since its been a while. But I really want to make a good impression and really focus on certain aspects that wont be a waste of time.

When I started as a kitchen designer I was really focused on the Rendering portion of the job which looking back wasn't so beneficial. I want to avoid making the same mistake again.

I'm open to any and all advice you guys have for a beginner Draftsman.

Thanks!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• PaulMacAD89

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your knowledge and understanding of millwork is your greatest asset.

You add value to your projects by designing quality millwork to the budget. Communicating through drawings will come.

Nothing is ever thrown away in AutoCAD, so the knowledge you have is still relevant.

You could get a copy of the latest release, and a book and check out what's new. I guarantee that will put you ahead of your new colleges!

I expect that the biggest difference is that 20/20 is process driven and has a lot of automation tools. Imagine that you will be doing s lot more drawing.

I recommend that you find a buddy who knows the company standards and stick close to them until you get comfortable in your new role :D

Congratulations!

Write back and let us know how you get on.

2009 had the first ribbon. I've been contracting for a shop that just switched from 2008 to 2015. If us old codgers can do it, you can.

I am a week away from starting my new job as a draftsman at a local Millwork company in my area. What I am looking for is advice as to I should really be putting the most effort in to learning at first. I will be using Auto-CAD ( not positive what version ).

My background, I graduated in 2007 from a Vocational school in Architectural Drafting we used AutaCAD 2004 - 2007. It has been 8 years since I've really played around with Auto-CAD, I'm sure a lot has changed.The past 3 years I've been working as a Kitchen Designer for a local lumber yard working with 2020.

A scope of work that I will now be doing is shop drawings for custom bookshelves, counter tops, kitchen cabinets, finished wall panels, built in seating, fire place mantles, etc. for commercial new construction projects.

The company knows it will take some time for me to get up to par with Auto CAD since its been a while. But I really want to make a good impression and really focus on certain aspects that wont be a waste of time.

When I started as a kitchen designer I was really focused on the Rendering portion of the job which looking back wasn't so beneficial. I want to avoid making the same mistake again.

I'm open to any and all advice you guys have for a beginner Draftsman.

Thanks!

You will only be able to download the most current trial version from AutoDesk.

Do everything THEIR WAY. Your way is NOT better. (even if it is):lol:.

What I mean is, find out what their standards are and use them. Anything from the way they draw to how thick their typical cabinet back panel is...

You won't be doing a lot of 3D work in the millwork business. There may be some from time to time, but it is rare.

You probably will start off just modifying existing drawings, working from "redlines" sent in by the client with a "Revise and Resubmit" stamp on them. That is a very good way to pick up on how they do things, especially the unrealistic deadlines part.:twisted:

What area are you in?

I've been looking for a permanent job in the Orlando FL USA area. If you are here, :shock: I'm chasin' you outa town with a stick.:rofl: The sub-contractor thing is getting old, and I want a 2015 Mustang to grow old with. I need a credit rating for that.8)

AutoCad, as you know is nothing like 2020. By all means, go to the Autodesk website TODAY and download a trial version of AutoCad 2015 and try to figure it out. It is a good deal different, and improved from 2007 to say the least. The Classic workspace is a thing of the past, and the ribbon is now pretty much it.

Come here for help at any time. I am much better at what I do because of the last three years or so hanging out on this forum from time to time.

I have been doing millwork drafting now for about 7 years, and 20 or so residential construction years, before that. Ask anything. I and the others will try to help.

Ribbon is pretty much it ! my favourite command RIBBONCLOSE, OK also RIBBON.

I dont do Millwork but dynamic blocks would be well worthwhile looking at, eg change 1 height variable all your panels are now adjusted to new height.

There has been a number of specific posts for automating tasks in this industry, multi panels doors for instance using lisp, Dana may be able to help there.

My last question do you know how to customise autocad ? Try to have a look at Tool Palettes for setting up all your common used blocks or dwgs.

Here is a bench / table automated.

: draw plain bench with legs
; by Alan H Oct 2012
;
;
(setq pi2 (/  pi 2.0)) ; 90 degrees
(setq Pt1 (getpoint "\npick lower left corner point")) 
(setq L (getreal "\nEnter length"))
(setq W (getreal "\nEnter width"))
(setq thick (- 0.0 (getreal "\nEnter bench thickness")))
(setq pt2 (polar pt1 0.0 L))
(setq pt3 (polar pt2 pi2 W))
; do stuff here like layers for now just draw
(command "rectang" pt1 pt3)
(command "extrude" "L" "" thick)
(setq OF1 (getreal "\nEnter Offset from length for legs"))
(setq OF2 (getreal "\nEnter offset from width for legs"))
(setq leg1 (getreal "\nEnter Hor size of leg"))
(setq leg2 (getreal "\nEnter Ver size of leg"))
(setq thick (+ (- 0.0 (getreal "\nEnter height of legs"))thick))
(setq pt4 (polar (polar pt1 0.0 OF1) pi2 OF2)) ;cnr of leg
(setq pt5 (polar (polar pt4 0.0 leg1) pi2 leg2))
(command "rectang" pt4 pt5)
(command "extrude" "L" "" thick)
(setq Cols (- L (+ (* 2.0 OF1) leg1)))
(setq rows (- W (+ (* 2.0 OF2) leg2)))
(command "array" "Last"  "" "R" 2 2 rows cols)
(command "vpoint" "1,1,1") 
(princ)  ; exit quitely

Paul, here's a dwg file copy saved to 2010 version, of a bunch of blocks for kitchen cabinets I collected and or drew up back when I first started in millwork. They are very simple minded and straight forward. So were the cabinets I was doing back then. Pretty much all simple p-lam break room cabinets in hospitals and the back of dept. stores. Some of them are dynamic blocks, with stretch actions. Dynamic blocks had just hit the street, and I didn't know much about them.

A couple of them are nested full of other dynamic blocks. For instance a base cabinet section has drawers that can be stretched in length and height, the carcass can be stretched in two directions, and the countertop can be stretched lengthwise, with a backsplash that can be stretched in height. The only reason they are nested together is that completely basic and standard section view never has to be drawn again, simply inserted. Nested this way, the parts are not dynamic separately. However, dynamic blocks can be piled together separately to make an infinite number of different sized base cabinets, and as long as they are not nested in another block their dynamic properties are accessible.

I can't tell you how many times the ADA compliance rules get applied, then removed from a particular run of cabinets while the shop drawings are still being done. One day the countertop has to be 34" above the finished floor, the next day it needs to be 36" above, then it has to be changed to 42", then back to 34". With careful use of dynamic blocks, changes like that can be done in seconds. Without them, every door, drawer, shelf, and backsplash is a rectangle, or worse yet separate lines that ALL need at least to be moved.

I have found that the more high end and more customized millwork and cabinetry gets, the less use there is for dynamic blocks, or even simple blocks. blocks are for repetition, and custom work does not have repetition in that way.

Well, there was this place called the California Grill (My non-disclosure agreement has expired.) somewhere near Orlando on the roof of a resort apparently operated by a giant mouse. ALL the 28 or so wine cabinet steel frames were basically exact copies. I only had to draw one of them as a block, then pop as many copies as I needed into each plan, elevation, and section view. Blocks were only used in the plan and elevation views. Boy was them things expensive. All 2" square steel tube open frames about 9' tall, 5' wide and spanning over some 8 or so Sub-Zero wine coolers. They were all welded together individually, then powder coated matte black, and bolted together on site to make a 100 foot or so "L" shaped unit. Solid Walnut shelving, crazy weird designer glass all over. The sushi bar was another case where it was so out of the ordinary, the only block in it was the mfg cad for the sink plan view. You can see them in this video, the steel framed shelves are right after the guy at check in is done. The bar is the solid white one. This add makes me hungry. It also makes me feel like I did something cool, even though the steel frames were stupefyingly simple and I didn't do the manual craftsmanship they are very full of. Boy, they came out looking freaking AWESOME.

. This was built over a year ago, and just now is the first time I have ever seen inside the bar. I just found this video tonight on youtube.

Assorted Dyn Blocks.dwg

Edited by Dana W

Ribbon is pretty much it ! my favourite command RIBBONCLOSE, OK also RIBBON.

I dont do Millwork but dynamic blocks would be well worthwhile looking at, eg change 1 height variable all your panels are now adjusted to new height.

There has been a number of specific posts for automating tasks in this industry, multi panels doors for instance using lisp, Dana may be able to help there.

My last question do you know how to customise autocad ? Try to have a look at Tool Palettes for setting up all your common used blocks or dwgs.

Al, changing dynamic blocks are for changing individual occurrences of the same block. What you are talking about is changing a block in the block editor,and that changes every occurrence of that object in the drawing, right?

my favourite command RIBBONCLOSE,

Paul, welcome to CADTutor! :)

You will be flying along in no time, not to worry.

You're talking my language BIGAL, RC is one of the most useful aliases on my magic box too. :beer:

Dana, nice work on those cabinets, it's always great to see the finished product, but in my experience it doesn't happen often enough.

I draw just about everything with dynamic blocks, it is a long process to get them set up and tweaked to be used on various projects. But at some point you get a library built up that can be used in most future work, occasionally making a new block or adapting an old one to suit. And providing you can select blocks with at least one dynamic value that is the same, then you can globally change that value for all the selected blocks.

PS whats a ribbon except waste of drawing space

Dana, nice work on those cabinets, it's always great to see the finished product, but in my experience it doesn't happen often enough.

I draw just about everything with dynamic blocks, it is a long process to get them set up and tweaked to be used on various projects. But at some point you get a library built up that can be used in most future work, occasionally making a new block or adapting an old one to suit. And providing you can select blocks with at least one dynamic value that is the same, then you can globally change that value for all the selected blocks.

PS whats a ribbon except waste of drawing space

Yeah, it's nice to see the finished product, especially if it goes well. I've been lucky lately in that I had a hand in the shop drawings for a half dozen or so highly visible projects, so I can at least google 'em when they're done. Yup, the multiple select and change property thing does come in handy at times. I did a "fence" that is a screen between a rooftop bar, and the HVAC units outside the window, and I had to increase its height by 6 1/4". I just selected all the posts which were dynamic blocks, changed the value of the height parameter in the quickcalc and all 18 of them grew 6 1/4", added a rail at the top, and done. If they had been lines and rectangles it might have taken an hour to do, since they were not simply square flat topped posts. Actually these posts didn't need to be dynamic, but if not they would have needed modifying in the block editor, so I would have had to sort of re-draw at least one of them and save the block.

Thanks guys for the speedy responses. It is much appreciated. I will do my best to get my head wrapped around the ribbon. I'll d/l free version tonight. & Dana Im in Mass a bit too far away. I hope......

But glad to know I have a place to come with experienced guys with any questions I may have. I'll definitly keep coming back For the knowledge.

Thanks guys for the speedy responses. It is much appreciated. I will do my best to get my head wrapped around the ribbon. I'll d/l free version tonight. & Dana Im in Mass a bit too far away. I hope......

But glad to know I have a place to come with experienced guys with any questions I may have. I'll definitly keep coming back For the knowledge.

:rofl:Yeah, that's far enough away.:rofl: Seriously though, best of luck with your new job, and you can come to Florida to work. I can take it. Besides, it's 63 deg and sunny right now, and hasn't snowed here since 1980.

I find the best thing about the ribbon in 2015 is the SIZE of the icons and panels. I can see 'em. 'Course my 27" monitor helps too. The second best thing about it in my opinion, which drives some people completely crazy, is the contextual format, which is not completely new in 2015. If you select an existing dimension or text object, the ribbon will change to the "Annotation" tab automatically. It is typical of whatever you are dealing with at the time. If there is a contextual category associated with what you are doing, the ribbon changes to bring the most useful tool panels in that context visible. Click on an existing block, and the Block specific tab becomes current.

One thing that makes some people a little crazy when this happens, is that all the "most used" tool panels and icons are on the Home tab. Sorta like the old "Draw Toolbar". If you open a block to edit it, you have to click on the home tab to get access to the buttons for drawing polylines, arc's rectangles and stuff, because the Block editor tab only has "Block Stuff" on it. Of course none of this applies to people who work solely by typing in commands. They tend to turn the ribbon off.

Anyway, I hated the ribbon in 2009, but now I love it. I started AutoCad'ing long after the days of "command line only" so I sorta grew up using the tool bars. It took me only about a day to get used to where everything is on the ribbon once I moved to the 2015 release. It is much better than the rudimentary version that first came out in 2007. I am especially happy to see AutoDesk finally see that the MATCHPROP button has to be HUGE. Nobody is particularly disciplined about changing the current layer before drawing something, so that makes MATCHPROP probably the 3rd or 4th most used button or command.

66 and Sunny in Dallas right now, and it snows sometimes, but haven't had a hurricane since..... forever? :lol:
Don't put being in a hurricane on your bucket list. :shock:

It's a long, long drive to the beach from Dallas. I'm 45 minutes from the Atlantic, THIS BEACH, Cocoa, and 2 hours from the Gulf.

cocoa.jpg