I just installed Windows 10

Currahee

I just installed Windows 10 and thought I would offer this thread to anyone that had any questions about Windows new OS.

From what I have learned so far is it took 10 minutes to install and an additional 20 minutes to setup plus addition 10 minutes to get NVidia video driver and Firefox installed. I am installing Architecture 15 right now.

Gone is the "metro" environment the tiles and apps are now in the start menu in the desktop environment. The UI in this 9926 build is ugly; flat tiles, icons menus etc..(think IPhone or Windows XP in High Contrast).

The speed of the new build is really Fast, its like getting a new hardware for free.

Feel free to ask any questions if you are interested.

Taylor

IMO it is worth the upgrade, especially with the new found speed over Win 8.1. (I am running a AMD Quad Core w/ 8g Ram w/ 2g AMD Radeon R9 Card, w/ a old 250g SATA HD. Power users like us will take some time to get use to it. 2 years ago when I upgraded to Win 8, I hated my decisions to upgrade. But I thought I would stick it out (Mind you I hadn't had Win 7 on my Cad Station but only on my laptop). Then I installed Classic Shell where I could go back to the desktop environment with a start menu and discovered it wasn't that bad since I didn't have to see all those tiles any-longer. Then 8.1 and the subsequent updates come out and I started to get used to it.

So, last night I dug thru all my pc parts and got a old HD out and installed Win 10 on it this morning. Well, after running it thru Autodesk AutoCAD 2015 and Autodesk Inventor 2015 I noticed a very noticeable performance gain. So after that, I took the 2nd HD out that I installed the Win 10 on and done a clean install on my primary drive. With that being said, you know how much of a pain doing a clean install is of the OS and all your applications, so you can understand how impressed I was.

I hope I dont regret this decision.....LOL

Dang, I just got Win 8.1 working, sorta kinda.

IMO it is worth the upgrade....

FWIW -

Win10 is a free upgrade to anyone with a valid Win7, or Win8.1 license:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7866679/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-1-users

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2825116/free-at-last-after-windows-10-consumers-wont-pay-for-updates-or-upgrades.html

I installed Win10x64 TP in a Client Hyper-V VM, just after AutoCAD 2016 Beta kicked off, and it hasn't given me any trouble.

Dell Precision T3600, Hex-Core Xeon, 32 GB RAM, 3 GB NVIDIA Quadro K4000, 2 x 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD in RAID 0 (OS, Win8.1x64), 128 GB Liteon SSD (Disaster Recovery), 1 TB Western Digital Velociraptor 10K RPM HDD (Data), 3 x 24" monitors, Infrastructure Design Suite 2014/2015

Cheers

Looks like there are some significant improvements. Besides, it'll give me a chance to get rid of all the weird things my wife has done to 8.1.:twisted: I'll do anything to make AutoCad 2015 LT run a bit faster on this "thing".

I am severely limited in some areas though, especially in the RAM & graphics departments.

Operating System - Windows 8.1 64-bit

CPU - Intel Core i5 3330S @ 2.70GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM - 6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 797MHz with no more slots.

Motherboard - Dell Inc. 0G17RR (CPU 1)

Graphics - XPS One 2710 (2560x1440@59Hz) - Intel HD on board Graphics (Dell) I do have an open PCIe but I can't find a graphics card that is designed for the box. It's an "All In One"

Storage 931 GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA)

931 GB Dell Portable SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA))

Looks like there are some significant improvements. Besides, it'll give me a chance to get rid of all the weird things my wife has done to 8.1.:twisted: I'll do anything to make AutoCad 2015 LT run a bit faster on this "thing".

I am severely limited in some areas though, especially in the RAM & graphics departments.

Operating System - Windows 8.1 64-bit

CPU - Intel Core i5 3330S @ 2.70GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM - 6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 797MHz with no more slots.

Motherboard - Dell Inc. 0G17RR (CPU 1)

Graphics - XPS One 2710 (2560x1440@59Hz) - Intel HD on board Graphics (Dell) I do have an open PCIe but I can't find a graphics card that is designed for the box. It's an "All In One"

Storage 931 GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA)

931 GB Dell Portable SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA))

Good news is RAM, and Graphics are the two cheapest parts of a system unit - At least you have the i5 proc!

Is this a home computer, or work-provided?

Amazon has some great deals on memory; I just upgraded two legacy servers, and the VP's old Precision 390 (just had to replace the motherboard due to some blown capacitors). I've setup two of the XPS One's for the Owner; one for the office, the other for his home. I forget if it's the 2720 that comes with the SSD cache, which is nice. His home computer just had a HDD failure, and had to replace that - they're actually built quite well 'under the hood' with the copper piping for cooling, etc.

As for graphics, I'm looking to upgrade as well; considering a second NVIDIA Quadro K4000, as I've seen some lag recently.

Cheers

It seems strange that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for those on 7/8. I suppose it is to try to establish the OS quickly.

Personally I upgraded with a new laptop a few weeks ago and went from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 and a SSD drive. I think it is more the SSD drive although it is now lightning fast almost to boot Windows (

It seems strange that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for those on 7/8. I suppose it is to try to establish the OS quickly.

Personally I upgraded with a new laptop a few weeks ago and went from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 and a SSD drive. I think it is more the SSD drive although it is now lightning fast almost to boot Windows (

I just posted a new thread here comparing the speed of Win 10 vs Win 8.1

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?90735-I-now-have-a-speed-comparison-of-Windows-10-vs-Windows-8.1&p=621258#post621258

Good news is RAM, and Graphics are the two cheapest parts of a system unit - At least you have the i5 proc!

Is this a home computer, or work-provided?

Amazon has some great deals on memory; I just upgraded two legacy servers, and the VP's old Precision 390 (just had to replace the motherboard due to some blown capacitors). I've setup two of the XPS One's for the Owner; one for the office, the other for his home. I forget if it's the 2720 that comes with the SSD cache, which is nice. His home computer just had a HDD failure, and had to replace that - they're actually built quite well 'under the hood' with the copper piping for cooling, etc.

As for graphics, I'm looking to upgrade as well; considering a second NVIDIA Quadro K4000, as I've seen some lag recently.

Cheers

For some reason, I didn't see this before. It's a home computer, but being an "ALL IN ONE" there are severe upgrade limitations. There are no available memory slots, and one empty PCIe slot, that nobody I have found will swear to their graphics card fitting into, so.....

There are several Admin settings that could contribute to the observed difference in speed.

Many are still hold outs on Win7 because of what they heard about Win8, and just assume Win8.1 is the same despite actually being an entirely different OS from that of Win8.1. By offering Win10 free to those hold outs they'll rapidly gain support for their newest offering, which will include a subscription fee for Businesses needing Pro or Enterprise licensing. Not free to all.

For some reason, I didn't see this before. It's a home computer, but being an "ALL IN ONE" there are severe upgrade limitations. There are no available memory slots, and one empty PCIe slot, that nobody I have found will swear to their graphics card fitting into, so.....

No worries; you are limited by the number of memory slots (4 if memory serves, and not to be redundant?), so just buy larger chips - if you have 4 x 2 GB chips, buy 4 x 8 GB chips is what I meant.

Cheers

No worries; you are limited by the number of memory slots (4 if memory serves, and not to be redundant?), so just buy larger chips - if you have 4 x 2 GB chips, buy 4 x 8 GB chips is what I meant.

Cheers

Um, yeah. That's right, I can do that.:facepalm: Sometimes, I just don't see the forest.

Um, yeah. That's right, I can do that.:facepalm: Sometimes, I just don't see the forest.

No worries; Amazon has some 2x8GB kits for as low as $120, and 2x16GB kits for +/- $350. The fewer chips for same capacity, the more expensive.

Cheers

Well, that's pretty wacky. I have a 6 gig @ 800 mhz RAM set, one 4 gig, and one 2 gig card in the only two slots. I guess I could replace the 2 gig one for 60 bucks with a 4 gig chip, but they only have 1600 mhz chips. Dell says it will run @ 800 mhz that way. Two 4 gig chips @ 1600 mhz, is only 120 bucks though, and that will bring the speed up to 1600, or whatever the system can handle, whichever limit comes first. Speccy says they are both running at about max speed now, 798.7 mhz, at 46% usage, with only Outlook, Chrome, and Speccy running. Whups, opened a drawing and with it sitting idle, mem use went to 55%.

They do have 8 gig RAM cards they say are compatible with my xps 2710. They will be 240 dollars for a set of two. But the graphics issue is my main concern, and I am still looking for a solution. I mean, it's ok, but a three meg drawing will drag and flash while zooming/panning.

Dell's price for 4 gig is 59 bucks, for 8 gig 119, and that's per card. Not too bad really.

I just found out I can install an NVidia GeForce GT 640M with 2 GB GDDR5 memory, but I would have to find it at a recycled parts store, and I have to unsolder the original one, and resolder the replacement to the motherboard. Not gonna happen, in any way shape or form, this century or any other. I have installed superchargers on cars but I am not gonna melt stuff on my motherboard. No way.

Edited by Dana W

Couple of things:

Memory is how many things you can have open at a given time; the size of your 'desktop'... the more memory, the more 'documents' you can open and 'put' on your 'desktop'.

Graphics is how capable your machine is of performing calculations, and producing frame rates for the 'document' you're consuming.

Two entirely different things, that work in concert to make your machine more proficient at performing specific types of work; engineering design, gaming, admin, etc.