Properties

doncwe

I'm just starting to use AutoCad 2011 and have a question. A screenshot is attached showing a highlighted rectangle and the properties box. It doesn't show the length and width of the rectangle, am I looking in the wrong area for this information.

Thank You.

Object Properties.jpg

As a rectangle in AutoCAD is only a 4-segment closed polyline, the properties list only vertices coordinates. The length can then be retrieved by subtracting x and y values listed in the properties.

Yeah, the AutoDesk programmers didn't code the properties window to recognize and analyse geometric shapes as separate objects, nor list their parts.

The length shown is the TOTAL length of the entire continuous polyline. AutoCad, once a rectangle is drawn using the rectangle command, or by manually drawing a closed polyline, only recognizes it as one polyline with multiple vertices, not as a Rectangle. If you construct a rectangle from 4 separate, non-continuous lines or polylines, then the properties window will show the length of each selected separate side, selected one at a time, because then they are separate objects.

You can measure the individual segments of a continuous or closed polyline, or anything else, by using the DIST (Distance) command, and then click on each end of one segment (side). You don't need to make a selection to run DIST. It measures between any two points, even in the middle of blank space.

Welcome to CADTutor! :)

In your screenshot you also are showing your Quick Properties palette.

I use Quick Properties all the time, and everything that Paul & Dana said is right on the money. :beer:

I was just curious if you are aware that the Quick Properties display is meant to be customizable,

to suit your own needs, which is why I like it so much, as it tells me ONLY the information which

I have defined by specific object types. In order to access the customization options available,

right click within the left border of the palette, then choose Customize.

The same can be done with the Hover Tip property display, but the display selection is different. I have mine set to show me 3 or 4 things when I hover over them.

There are other display settings available as well

in that right click drop down menu.

my quick properties display for a Polyline rectangle.JPG

Quick Property Display options for a POLYLINE.jpg