AutoCAD 2012 to 2015 - laggy and sluggish

MDrawings

I finally took the plunge and upgraded my CAD version.

I went from 2012 to 2015 and along with that I did a PC upgrade.

But executing commands in 2015 is driving me nuts.

I'm a command line warrior. I used to have a custom tool bar with a few of my drop down items I need and the rest is all command line. Clicking on toolbars or ribbons is wasting precious time.

I also use a 56 key programmable keyboard and a 14 button mouse, all full of macros.

With all that said I'm actually leaving the ribbon since I can see that Autodesk is going to phase out the toolbar/classic workspace anyway. Figure I'll get used ot it now. I'll customize the ribbon later, if I decided to keep 2015.

2012 was snappy and instant executing commands.

2015 is sluggish and has micro delays and some delays that last a few seconds!

Anyone else find this?

I've been goggling and changing variables for a week now and it has got a bit better, but still not to the level of my 2012.

I have to add delays into my macros just for them to work.

hardware accel is on with latest video drivers. I even tried older versions.

I have all those cheesey visual options turned off. Dynamic input off.

Even windows is set to best performance getting rid of all the visual affects.

SP2 is installed.

The delays even occur in a new drawing, so it's not my old files (which have been converted).

I'm I the only one experiencing this?

I'm ready to ask for my money back.

new machine:

i7-5930K @ 4.5

16gb ram.

r9 280x video card.

old machine:

i7-860 @ 3.0

16gb ram.

same r9 280x.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobDraw

• willb

• ReMark

• MDrawings

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure but it might be related to the "AutoComplete" delay setting.

Just type in "AutoComplete" or "AutoCompleteDelay" at the command line for all the settings. You can also right click the command line and go that route.

Just a thought and hope it helps.

Jeff

It's a good suggestion but the delay happens after executing the command.

Regardless, I did give it a shot but no cigar.

In my frantic google searches it appears I'm not the only one experiencing this. A few reports of the same issues and it appears these guys just went back to their tried and true version. Typically '12, '13 or '14.

I've had no problems with lag using AutoCAD 2015.

Did you kill off the CommCenter (a.k.a. - InfoCenter)?

Is hardware acceleration enabled?

Have you installed the service pack?

Yeah, 2015 was supposed to have performance enhancements. The program is not flawed like you think it might be. It is probably a setting somewhere.

InfoCenter was the first thing I killed.

As per my original post, SP2 installed and hardware accel is on.

If you're a ribbon or toolbar clicker, you might not notice the lag I'm referencing. By the time you get the cursor back down to the drawing space the command will have executed.

I'm not experiencing these performance enhancements at all.

2012 is quick and snappy OOTB. no messing with settings.

2015 should be the same.

My left hand hovers over the keyboard like a hawk over a flock of pigeons just waiting to strike. Looooooong time user of AutoCAD going back to the DOS days so I am certainly not a die-hard Ribbon user.

No lag on my system and if you check my computer specs they are nowhere as good as yours.

Are you on a network?

2015 should be the same.

That is not necessarily true. New "features" are all on by default. It could be a "feature" but my guess is it is something else. It's just a matter of finding what setting is causing the problem. It may not even be AutoCAD. Since you have changed the PC, there are other variables. From this end we can only guess. If it were a problem with AutoCAD, you would have already gotten your answer and probably returned it.

Have you checked your support pathing?

Just because you don't know how to fix it, doesn't mean it is a problem with the program. Please get your mind out of that train of thought.

Have you tried disabling your anti-virus program and then running AutoCAD? Some AV programs will aggressively scan AutoCAD .dlls assuming them to be "suspicious".

What else do you have running in the background?

Did you try disabling hardware acceleration? Some systems actually perform better with HA disabled. It would not hurt to test it.

You need to understand my frustration. I'm a freelancer, this is all out of my pocket to try and diagnose. Autodesk support is a joke. They copy & paste responses. Then I come across other threads of people experiencing the same issue with no solution. I realize it's impossible for Autodesk to tailor their software for every software/hardware configuration out there but this iteration just isn't working for me.

This forum has helped me immensely in the past so I thought I would give another shot. I appreciate everyone providing their 2 cents.

I have tried disabling my anti-virus and even added all autodesk file types to the exclusion list (eset nod 32).

I did try with HA off and it makes it worse. I even turned off all the 3d elements because I'm primarily in 2d.

Nothing else running in the background so this is a fresh install.

I've cleaned up my startup in msconfig so only the essentials are loading on a restart. Although I do have the asus AI suite running, I'll try killing that.

Not on a network.

I even have one of those new insanely quick m.2 ssd's. And that's currently the only drive installed.

Food for thought, a lag can mean that AutoCAD is looking for something it cannot find. Could be a font, a shape file, XREF, etc. Again, check all your pathing and make sure AutoCAD is looking in the right places for stuff.

Is this happening in all files?

It could also be something to do with your mouse and/or keyboard. As a test, switch them out with standard mouse and keyboard to rule out that possibility. If you have any other peripherals, disconnect them all, restart, and see if the lag persists.

I don't see your graphics card on the Autodesk list with an Autodesk driver available, maybe I missed it. General speaking, I never much cared for AMD with AutoCAD, and this is the reason, it may have ran well with AutoCAD 2012, but seems it isn't doing well with AutoCAD 2015.

I would invest in an new Nvidia card and see if that helps.

I have an offer to make.

I'll trade you my setup for yours. Even swap. I'm looking for a better system anyway. Look at my specs for the particulars. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks for the advice Rob, I hadn't tried a different KBD mouse combo yet. Funny because a previous mouse I had was conflicting with acad.

It is happening in all files. When I make any setting changes I try it in a new file, one of my 2012 files, and one of the sample files packaged with acad.

SLW210: I'm starting to think this as well. I'm reading that acad is now more heavily dependent on the graphics card. I'll keep trying a few more things before I start trying to dump money on a possible solution. But in my search I see some people are experiencing with nvidea cards as well.

I'm still hopeful its just a simple setting or feature that I need to disable.

I'm reading that acad is now more heavily dependent on the graphics card.

I also heard that it was also getting more compatible with a wider range of cards.

Let us know what you find.

I have an offer to make.

I'll trade you my setup for yours. Even swap. I'm looking for a better system anyway. Look at my specs for the particulars. PM me if you are interested.

haha. Thanks but as tempting as it is I'll need to pass.

Could be that Quadro card making the diff for you. I wish I had someone close by that I could swap a pro series card just to test.

In looking at the lists on Autodesk recommended hardware site, it is much fewer options for AutoCAD 2015 than AutoCAD 2012, I know that is just what has been tested, but still.

Yes you're right. Thanks for looking into this for me.

I need to take today and the weekend off of this. I'm stressing myself out over this.

Plus I need to get some work done, already behind on some projects. :unsure:

I don't see your graphics card on the Autodesk list with an Autodesk driver available, maybe I missed it. General speaking, I never much cared for AMD with AutoCAD, and this is the reason, it may have ran well with AutoCAD 2012, but seems it isn't doing well with AutoCAD 2015.

I would invest in an new Nvidia card and see if that helps.

OP->Always be careful of the repeated claims that buying a video card for AutoCAD is going to be of any benefit. I've done much testing on this subject and I can confidently say that the video card plays an almost zero role in improving AutoCAD performance. I'm speaking specifically about AutoCAD 2015 and 2014 which uses DirectX/Direct3D video cards. AutoCAD prior to 2008 (?) supposedly had OpenGL code and at that time workstation cards such as Quadro/Firepro were used. Since i'm fresh to this game (AutoCAD) I can't confirm any performance characteristics of those systems. However, monitoring GPU usage with Nvidia Inspector clearly shows the video card isn't utilised. I use a modified X-Ray visual style with materials, textures, shadows off with a Faceted lighting quality (far too difficult to use Wireframe as there's just too many line obstructions for me-3D only). Monitoring the CPU however will show a single core fully utilised with a 100% load proving that AutoCAD is purely a single threaded CPU bound application.

I can also verify that AutoCAD 2015 is very slow and laggy in the many ways you've mentioned. The GUI is noticeably slower than that of 2014 as they've changed all the GUI typography and created that dark them which slows things down considerably if one was to compare both versions side by side. However, 2015 dramatically improved multiple object selection for me. In 2014 it was almost impossible to select many objects to perform routine commands, mirror, rotate, copy, move etc, AutoCAD with cough, splutter and take over 30 seconds to select then over 1 minute to begin the task and then freeze up, hang in any visual style aside from 2D Wireframe.

AutoDesk unfortunately appears to have a 'deny all' and 'don't give a ****' type attitude and have no aspirations of improving the performance of their product, well the only performance they seem to care about is sales performance.