Importing an Autocad 2015 3D dwg file into Inventor 2015

dalzielcad

I am new to forums but need help with importing a large Autocad 2015 3D dwg file into Inventor 2015. I have read various forums and viewed youtube demos showing how to do this via the OPEN - IMPORT option in Inventor but when i do this and try to save the file as a .IAM the file takes about 2 hours to convert but seems to loose about half the parts in the original model. If i save the file as a single part file, the conversion goes on for hours and eventually i have to give up. I have tried to save the original DWG file as a .sat or .iges file and convert them but this does not work either. I tried the IMPORT option on a very small 3D DWG file and it worked well, the file i am having problems with is 3Mb in size and is a hospital floor plan, is the file too big to convert? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sounds like the work was done incorrectly in AutoCAD.

In the real world - a part is a part.

In the real world - an assembly is a collection of parts.

In AutoCAD the assembly file should have been xrefs of the part files.

I recommend that you save each solid body to a separate file - starting with the "seems to loose about half the parts in the original model"....

Unless you post the file we cannot see what the problem is. It does sound like the files have hidden information like Xref it would open up quite quickly if it was a robust model. Looking into the layers and remove as many as you can. Purge the file and use OverKill command to remove extra lines. May not help but will clean up the 2d data if anything else.