Hatch Islands Not Displaying Their Hatch

Croweyes1121

This one is driving me crazy. I want to hatch the arrow...and the inside islands of the letters P, A and R. It's very important that the hatch be done all at one time, because I'm applying a gradient afterward. But I cannot get AutoCAD to show the hatch inside the islands of the letters when I do it in one command. The only thing that works is doing two hatches - one for the arrow and one for the islands. But I DO NOT want to do it that way. The odd thing is that, when I attempt to hatch everything at once and I move any of the islands outside of the arrow (by their boundary lines), the hatch magically shows up! But it WON'T show up inside the arrow, in the letters, as they're supposed to be positioned. So that says to me that the islands ARE getting hatched, they're just not displaying as hatched? Why?? Can anyone help me figure this out? I've tried it with all three types of islands detection, and none of them work. I figured I could do something similar to "subtract", but that only seems to work with 3D surfaces. This can't be this difficult...

IslandIssueNew.dwg

Edited by Croweyes1121

Is this close to what you are after? Hadda guess.

Make sure separate hatches is unchecked. Make sure associative hatch is unchecked. Pick a point inside the arrow, then select object for the character "islands". It took some experimenting to get it as far as I did, but I was able to move the letters out without the hatch going crazy. You can only leave a non-associative hatch without a boundary.

I still don't know why it is so hard to hatch like that, but it is.

By the way, you have two layers of polylines on the characters. It worked better when I erased the first layer.

Issue maybe solved.dwg

Your drawing fails in the same way in Draftsight if you hatch by selecting entities with an inclusion box.

However if you instead select with a pointpick falling within the arrow but not within any contained letter it appears to work fine.

Very odd. You might find this gets you there in Acad as well.

hth,

Hugh Adamson

www.hatchkit.com.au

Is this close to what you are after? Hadda guess. By the way, you have two layers of polylines on the characters. It worked better when I erased the first layer.

Hmm. No, not really. There are still two hatches going on in the file you created, one for the arrow and one for the letter islands. What I'm needing is one, single hatch that has all of that. What I don't get is that you can do several hatches together and have it be one entity so long as you do it at the same time while you're selecting boundaries. But when it's a letter like this it just simply will not display! I can't understand it.

Thanks for letting me know about the polylines. This was actually made from a (much) more complicated drawing, and I was just trying to give the board something simple. I had a bunch of 3D information in there that I discarded and I neglected to realize there were still two lines on top of one another when I flattened this. I've corrected it now. Hopefully someone can figure this out, this issue has bothered me for a long time with AutoCAD.

EDIT: FIXED it! You were on the right track, Dana! I unchecked "associative", then made sure I was on "normal" island detection, and that did it! It was the associative being checked that was messing it up. What you do - for anyone else having this problem - is UNcheck associative, select normal detection, then only select the "big" part of your hatch. It'll do the rest for you, including the islands. :)

If separate hatches is unchecked, it'll make all the hatches done in one execution of HATCH one hatch, whether you select them one at a time, pick, or object, with island detection turned completely off. Associative does need to be off, as I mentioned.

I don't get it. There was one contiguous hatch in the file when I saved it. Maybe it's because AutoDesk did a decent makeover of the hatch programming for 2015.

Ah, that's possible. I'm on 2013.

Hi,

I tried the hatching it worked perfect, also I save it in AutoCAD 2013. The main thing you have to make sure is in the hatch settings, take off the tick for the Create separate hatches option and use the Normal Island detection. It will work 100%

Laiju

Yes, it works provided you *don't* try hatching the arrow section AND the islands. The secret was doing less. I was trying to click on all four areas when I chose my boundaries. Doing that left the letter islands unhatched. Bizarre. But just selecting the arrow area works just fine. I just never would've thought to try that. lol

Edited by Croweyes1121