Wiki thread for dealing with an App.Bundle

SEANT

Autodesk has made the process of loading and unloading apps pretty easy. If the developer provides a 'bundle' package then that package can be dropped into:

Local Disk (C: ) - Users - - AppData - Roaming - Autodesk – ApplicationPlugins

Where “Current User Name” would be how you would expect to find it.

To unload, the user would just remove the bundle from that same location.

I should point out that not all plugin installs are that straight forward. A developer may have reasons to modify the system beyond just a bundle install. If that is the case then an 'uninstall' routine would typically be used to restore the computer system to its pre-install state.

Feel free to amend and/or contradict the above statement. The goal is to make any potential beta tester feel comfortable.

Edited by SEANT
Avoid smilies

• 1 month later...

The destination for the Bundle package listed above:

Local Disk (C: ) - Users - - AppData - Roaming - Autodesk – ApplicationPlugins

may be difficult to find due to a default setup in windows that sets the AppData folder as hidden. Use the appropriate link below if that folder needs to be un-hidden:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/394-hidden-files-folders-show-hide.html

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/2012/03/08/win8-howto-19-show-hidden-files-folders-and-drives.aspx

No need to un-hide anything:

%AppData%\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins

Absolutely true. A nice feature to Windows.

It is, though, a somewhat arcane method that may cause as much confusion as it does clarification.

Absolutely true. A nice feature to Windows.

It is, though, a somewhat arcane method that may cause as much confusion as it does clarification.

True to form... I'm always happy to not help. :beer:

True to form... I'm always happy to not help. :beer:

It’s all helpful. For the well initiated, that’s a great time saver. The method certainly demonstrates a level of familiarity that every Windows user should strive to attain.

I guess I’m trying to make the process as approachable as possible; to appeal to as wide an experience base as possible.

Granted, the notion of hidden folders isn’t much better. No wonder why computer are so intimidating to the average user.

It’s all helpful. For the well initiated, that’s a great time saver. The method certainly demonstrates a level of familiarity that every Windows user should strive to attain.

I guess I’m trying to make the process as approachable as possible; to appeal to as wide an experience base as possible.

Granted, the notion of hidden folders isn’t much better. No wonder why computer are so intimidating to the average user.

That's just my particularly dark sense of humor; pay no mind, my friend.

%AppData% is just an OOTB Environment Variable, and is also hidden by default. Group Policy Objects (GPO) can be used to prevent navigation, and even creation of files or folders, if security is of concern, via NTFS permissions.

That said, one can now create custom Environment Variables, and System Variables directly from PackageContents.xml as well, in 2015+ (2014- will still require additional Registry, Database, or [static?] Fields within scope, etc)... For more information, see this old article:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/AutoCAD-Customization/files/GUID-3C25E517-8660-4BB7-9447-2310462EF06F-htm.html

Cheers

More helpful information. Not the kind of information that my mom would find endearing (or anyone with the "it just works" mindset), but certainly something the developer's community can use.