Back to the Future Logos

Croweyes1121

https://mega.co.nz/#!SZ9nEL7K!i93nnkyLBAwUQny2zMNe3svaIJhkDi5atwlPpi9yAsU

I'm just posting this here for fun, as a thank you to this awesome forum for helping me work out a few of the kinks along the way while trying to get this finished.

This is a stripped down version of the full dwg (which contains my original 2D outlines, hatches, 3D surfaces, and backgrounds. But this still contains the final 3D solids and shading for each of the logos for all three films.

By default, I've got all the pertinent layers turned on for Part I. To see the Part II logo, turn on every layer that contains "Part II" in the description and turn off everything else. Ditto for Part III. There are also two versions of the number shading for Part III - one for the poster version and one for the film version. Be sure and orbit around and experiment with turning the shading layers off, it's a lot of fun.

Man, I wish I had a 3D printer for this... :-\

Nicely done. You would need a serious printer to get that model to fit, have you heard of "Shapeways" you could get it printed there (even in colour I believe)

No, I've not heard of them before, but I'll definitely check them out. Thanks a lot for the recommendation! :)

PS: What do you mean by getting it to "fit"? I can scale it up, of course...or do you just mean that it's a complex shape?

PS: What do you mean by getting it to "fit"? I can scale it up, of course...or do you just mean that it's a complex shape?

3D printers have a limit in terms of the size of model they can produce. Your logo is about 128' from end to end. You would have to scale it down considerably in order to print it.

Oh, yeah, the units are totally irrelevant. I literally just opened a blank dwg and started tracing the logo. I can scale it down so that it's something like 12" from end to end, that's no problem.

EDIT: Scaled it down. It's now about one foot across from left to right, excluding the Part II or Part III sections.