Text associated to a viewport

jquackenbush

I have a drawing that has multiple viewports at different ucs rotations.

With each viewport I want the text to be a true horizontal to the viewport.

The problem is that text from one viewport shows up in a second viewport which is rotated differently, and therefore the text is not horizontal.

Is there a way to have it so that text only plot in a specified viewport?

Or will I have to have multiple text layers and turn them on/off depending on the page I am plotting.

Thanks

Layers can be frozen per viewport, set and forget it. No need to change settings just for plotting.

As to the rotation, I'm not sure that is possible but one would think it would be. It will be interesting to see if someone has a way to do it.

You will need to have a different text layer for each viewport (or more accurately for each different viewport perspective),

so as to be able to follow Rob's excellent advice, and viewport freeze the inappropriately oriented text extities in each viewport.

Starting in Paperspace, double click inside any viewport, to activate it.

Once that is done, go to the dropdown menu on your Layers toolbar or tab, and viewport freeze whichever layers need to be.

Then double click outside the viewport, to deactivate it, and the new layer visibility preference will be applied.

Personally, I put my text and dimensions in paperspace, so while not for everybody, I don't have such problems.

Personally, I put my text and dimensions in paperspace, so while not for everybody, I don't have such problems.

This is a very good time for that. :oops:

If you use annotative text objects, you can modify the text style to "Orient text to the layout", and avoid all the falderal of extra layers and freezing in different viewports. I know it works for twisting the viewport off perfectly perpendicular when in 2D because I do it to flip my layouts around to Portrait while not moving my model, for certain ways some details for tall skinny stuff has to be presented, but I am not sure how it behaves when the "Y" axis is skewed. I can only assume it does work for that as well. I have not worked in 3D, and don't have the software to test it right now.

Edited by Dana W

I thought that might work, Dana. I might test it later if no one else does.
I was trying to find when that feature came about, but came up with nothing. Of course it does not predate annotative objects, but either it was there all along with it, or just too esoteric to be mentioned in "what's new" as its own topic. I didn't even know about it until a couple of months ago, even though I've been using annotative objects for a year and a half, and it's right there on the style editor window just below the Annotative check box. Align cannot be checked if the object is not annotative, of course. It also seems to apply only to text objects.