AutoCAD vs AutoCAD LT

Tom133

Hi there

I have just moved to a very small company (I'm their 9th employee), having previously worked for a 600+ strong consultancy.

The company I have moved to currently does not have any AutoCAD products (they currently use Didger).

They are in the process of purchasing a single user license version of AutoCAD as I am the only CAD resource they have within the company and are debating between the full version of AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT.

I will be using AutoCAD to create cross section drawings, typical detail drawings, location plans, setting out drawings, elevation profiles, and other similar drawings.

Any advice as to whether AutoCAD LT would be adequate for all of the above with no lost time due to less functionality, or if the full AutoCAD is the way to go.

Thanks in advance

Tom

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glen1980

• Tom133

• ReMark

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've briefly used Civils 3D and as I did not need any of its 3D functionality, and because some of the shortcuts which are present in AutoCAD are absent in Civils 3D, I found it slower and 'clunkier' to use.

Essentially AutoCAD works fine to create all of the drawings I mentioned in my OP, it's just that I have never used/seen AutoCAD LT before and so do not know if any of the missing functionality would impede me in creating any of the drawings I mentioned.

Tom

Nope, never used a LISP Routine in CAD.

That sort of links to the other thread I posted though...is there in built functionality within CAD for creating 2D Sections from a Topographical Survey or would I need an add-on/LISP Routine to create them.

And yeah Rob I had a quick look at that list, but felt it would be easier to ask on here as you guys have a lot more experience in CAD than I do (I've used it for about 3 years now).

Tom

I've briefly used Civils 3D and as I did not need any of its 3D functionality, and because some of the shortcuts which are present in AutoCAD are absent in Civils 3D, I found it slower and 'clunkier' to use.

Essentially AutoCAD works fine to create all of the drawings I mentioned in my OP, it's just that I have never used/seen AutoCAD LT before and so do not know if any of the missing functionality would impede me in creating any of the drawings I mentioned.

Tom

Every thing you mention in the first post is 3D. Cross sections, Elevation profiles & etc. Can be done a lot easier with Civil3D once you learn the program. If this new job is with a startup firm that wants to grow then the software needs to grow as well. I have nothing against Vanilla Autocad or LT but wasting time/manhours to do a cross section or elevation profile 2d where as a few clicks of the mouse in C3D can do it in a few secondscan be money saving.

Every thing you mention in the first post is 3D. Cross sections, Elevation profiles & etc. Can be done a lot easier with Civil3D once you learn the program. If this new job is with a startup firm that wants to grow then the software needs to grow as well. I have nothing against Vanilla Autocad or LT but wasting time/manhours to do a cross section or elevation profile 2d where as a few clicks of the mouse in C3D can do it in a few secondscan be money saving.

Further down the line I'll be pushing to get training in Civils 3D or a similar program but for the time being, and with the company never having invested in CAD resources before, I think they want to see some results from a smaller initial investment. Once they've got that I expect they would be willing to invest more money into software and training.

The smart money goes to Civil 3D (or some other 3D software). Get it, learn it, use it. I'm assuming that since LT is an option that you are not utilizing 3D, once you make the jump from 2D to 3D you will wonder why you hadn't done it sooner. It will be slow going at first, but will save you a lot of time in the long run.

Our civil engineers use LT for cross sections, drainage and road details etc. and it works well but they do spend a long time working out falls, levels etc. They are currently looking into upgrading to vanilla AutoCAD and incorporating 3rd party software for drainage, flood modelling etc. as we only do estate roads rather than highways and even our CAD reseller says Civil3d is too much for that!

Where in the world are you? If you're in the UK I'm told that SUDS and flood defences will have to be validated and most 3rd party software won't work with LT (the LT stands for Limited Technology not LighT!!)

Edited by Glen1980
Correcting stupid gramatical errors!

Nope, never used a LISP Routine in CAD.

Wow. That is hard to believe. You probably have, and just not even known it. Especially if you're trying to do 'Civil 3D' type work in vanilla AutoCAD.

It appears from your other posts that you are not willing to go with Civil 3D, so if you're positive you'll never need autolisp, then it's pretty simple - just get AutoCAD LT.

Wow. That is hard to believe. You probably have, and just not even known it. Especially if you're trying to do 'Civil 3D' type work in vanilla AutoCAD.

It appears from your other posts that you are not willing to go with Civil 3D, so if you're positive you'll never need autolisp, then it's pretty simple - just get AutoCAD LT.

It's not that I'm not willing to go with Civils 3D, it's just that the training and costs associated with it are such that I cant see my company going with it just yet.

AutoCAD LT could be the best shout for the time being as the initial outlay isn't as big...and then in a few months time ask for investment in Civils 3D and there wont be a wasted full AutoCAD license lying around.

Oh and I do remember a LISP routine I was using at my previous job, just a simple one for rotating viewports, but I imagine I can live without that for the time being.

Don't quote me on it but if you are on subscription they sometimes let you 'uplift' the subscriptions for a bit of a discount. They have also introduced desktop subscriptions (rental by another name) and they cahrge by the month, quarter or year. LT on its own is £400 inc VAT for the year so much less outlay.

I don't understand your logic re: starting with LT then moving to Civil 3D in a few months. If that's what you plan on doing don't buy LT...rent it.

I don't understand your logic re: starting with LT then moving to Civil 3D in a few months. If that's what you plan on doing don't buy LT...rent it.

I hadn't thought about getting a subscription to be honest...I've put it forward to the guy making the final decision that a 1 year Full AutoCAD subscription would make most sense for the time being, and mentioned that in a few months time we shall discuss Civils 3D.

Now if someone would kindly head over to my other thread and answer the question in there for me, I can be out of everyone's hair...for the time being!

Thanks for all the responses to this thread.

Tom

Edited by Tom133

There is at least one simple thing about AutoCad LT that you may find dismaying in trying to do civil work. I have done a few survey drawings with it, and even in the newest version there is no mechanism to label property lines with the bearings and distances per industry standards. My work around was to use a dimension style with no lines or arrowheads, only the text. For the bearings I used a simple text object and copied it from the properties box, rotated relative to the prop line. Luckily, I only had to do a couple of these.

Glen1980

even our CAD reseller says Civil3d is too much for that
I will back my guys any day that they will be in the pub wednesday and you will be sweating come friday that its not finished. Here in Aus a typical subdivision say 50 lots all civil documentation, Drainage, sewer, roads, intersection design, if your not knocking out a sheet a day your doing something wrong. No way in the world could we do that with LT.

A retro project 11 streets 1 job. $4,000,000

Port.jpg

to answer the OP, you should be fine on LT. Autodesk will let yoh upgrade your LT licence to Full or Civ3D after 90 days, and if you talk to your reseller they may notify you of promotions.

i would be looking to upgrade to a suite though, a little bit more expensive, but you get much more in the way of software. have a look at what suite would fit with your work. i would also get a neteork licence, this will give you flexibility if they employ more people etc. your reseller can tell you all about network licences and suites.

to all the others, saying go for this product etc. you obviously have never worked with a

small very small company

a company that has never had or deemed the need for "cad"

tried to extract thousands of pounds from a director for something that "fastcad" can do for less £100 in his eyes.

and the fact he's starting a new job with all the above he cant just wade in demanding thousands to be spent on a product he does not know, will require training at an additional cost etc.....

get in the company and understand their needs and what they expect, get friendly with a CAD reseller, they will help you sell the software and training if you need it. you have to remember that this is new for your boss as well, and he needs to see a return on his investment (software+pc+you)

good luck