Generating Cross Sections from a Topographic Survey

Tom133

Hi there

As I mentioned in my other thread, I have just moved from a large consultancy to a very small one.

One thing I never had to do at my previous company was generate sections based on existing elevations (somebody else would generate them for me and then I would edit them and add design levels etc. onto them).

Is there a function with AutoCAD (or AutoCAD LT as I am still unsure which version my new company will be purchasing) that can easily generate these, or if not is there an add-on/separate piece of software which can do so.

Thanks a lot

Tom

I am yet to get a topographical survey to look at for this company (as I mentioned they don't have AutoCAD yet...and I started yesterday).

I would expect to get a series of surveyed points with X, Y and Z coordinates attached to them and want to generate a 2D cross section of the ground profile to help with things like regrading/moving railway track positions/retaining wall design/etc.

Potentially the best idea could be for me to suggest that my employer gets me a years subscription to full AutoCAD - it doesn't work out as too much more expensive than purchasing the full license of AutoCAD LT.

Why not get a program more suited for your immediate and future needs?

Since you need training no matter what Civil program you get, find one that does what you need and start using it, now? You can always get LT to get you by until you get up to speed on the new software.

Its purely down to the financial outlay.

The company I am now working for has never done detailed in-house CAD work before (they have historically used Didger for basic location plans or outsource any larger CAD requirements).

They are going to want to see some return on the money they are laying out, and if I'm spending my first few weeks working for them training and teething with a new piece of software, they are not going to see that (plus the initial outlay is going to be a lot more).

I'm going to go with asking my company to get a 1 year license for Full AutoCAD which I am trained in using, and in a few months time (once my probationary period is up etc.) I'll have the discussion with them about Civils 3D & the training/costs associated with it.

In relation to the original question in this thread, if anybody knows where I would be able to find such an add-on for the full version of AutoCAD then that would be a massive help as without an add-on I can see it taking a while to create a few cross sections.

Everyone has been a huge help so thanks again

Tom

When you get hold of some drawings with the data you will be using, it could be an idea to post a sample showing the sort of thing you are trying to achieve, it would be much easier to make comments based on actual data. You always have the option to run the 30 day trial for Full Autocad and/or LT just to see what works.

If you know how to draw them on the board with a T-square and pencil then that's the way you would have to do it in Vanilla Autocad or LT with out add ons.

How ever you might be able to use the CAD Tools w/AutoCAD ,some what just depending on how in dept you need to go.

I would highly recommend go to CIV3D you will still be not quite there with Autocad, the moment you start doing surface stuff you will want more, the other options in CIV3d will soon come to the surface like the grading editor. On a 1 year subscription you can then decide how much you really did use CIV3D. Like Steven-g take adavantage of free trial there is plenty here who can help you to at least get something out.

There are some other low cost or free Civil add ons available maybe EZYSURF here on cadtutor have a look at what YMG is doing.

An alternative have a look at this running under Briscad http://www.advancedroaddesign.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=4&gclid=CPjLuPTc2MMCFQgJvAodNSEAeQ