Polyface Mesh to 3D solid

Karuga

Serious AutoCAD amateur here - high school student. I usually poke around on my own to try and figure things out, but I've run into some conversion problems that are really tiring me, I'd appreciate some help or pointers in the right direction.

Basically, I've imported a model I made from SketchUp Pro as a 3D dwg. It looks great, but the model is made of polyface meshes. The problem is that I am trying to use the FLATSHOT command to make my orthographic/iso drawing a little easier. However, I know FLATSHOT can't project polyface meshes, so I've been trying to convert it. I tried using QSELECT to get all the polyface meshes in the model selected, and using the MESHSMOOTH command, but the result is a real mess. Simple rectangular shapes have confusing lines all across them and what not. I know I can already FLATSHOT this, but the lines of course appear. Using CONVTOSOLID just results in hundreds of errors popping up over the command line (evidently, none of the selected items could be converted).

Actually I have asked a very similar question here before, and the answer I got worked last time, which is what I am basing my steps above on. The original thread is here http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?83943-How-to-generate-3-view-Orhtographic-from-3D-Model

Last time, I don't remember running into the problem where MESHSMOOTH turns my object into a mess.

If there isn't some simple way to get my model as-is projected, I do have SketchUp pro and if anybody knows a way to go from SketchUp model to AutoCAD orthos, it is greatly appreciated.

The best advice I can give you is to attach a copy of the DWG file to your next post so we can have a first hand look at what you are working with otherwise we'll be here all day playing "20 Questions". Do not post images as they'll be next to useless; we need an actual DWG file. Got it?

I have moved this thread to the AutoCAD 3D Modeling section.

As ReMark suggested, attach a copy of your dwg and your skp file. It's difficult to give advice on issues like this without having the actual files to work with.

If the files are too large to post here, put them in a zip file and upload them to Dropbox and then post the link here.

Open your model in SU. Set the view that you want (top) and then change the camera to parallel projection. Then go to file, export 2D and then select dwg. This should create a 2D dwg of your model.

Edited by f700es

What abaout the old fashioned method

DXBOUT and DXBin ?

Regards

Jochen

>> Seems there is no option for plotting the hidden line model, Sorry!

Edited by scj
Correction

f700es: I discovered that later on, and while it does create projections of any view I want, I can't seem to get SketchUp to project the hidden edges as dashed, regardless if I have hidden edges on or off in SketchUp, so going them over in AutoCAD is a bit tedious.

Do your floors and roof have any thickness?

They do not have any thickness. Does this cause problems? Either way, I guess i should have given them a thickness haha.

Well, your walls aren't done correctly either.

I think I would just start over from scratch and to it correctly in AutoCAD rather than fooling with trying to import and repair flawed geometry.

Should only take about 30 minutes for this simple design.

Karuga, your floor and roof have no bearing on the issue at hand. Not sure what exactly is wrong with your walls either but I brought your SU model into 2015 to have a look. I basically deleted your roof and floor as these can be added later and concentrated on the walls and front arch element. I made the arc a group and then grouped the walls as well. These will help you to be able to move items around in the model as needed. Back to main issue...

If you are just looking for views in AutoCAD you can import the model in r2014 or above with the free import sketchup utility from AutoDesk. Once in Autocad the view base command will give you the views you are needing.

Now once in AutoCAD your items will be a bit broken up as SU is not very good with curves. JD does have a point in that you'll get a better result in AutoCAD with the hidden style look that you are wanting. That is if AutoCAD is your desired end result. If you have access to SU Pro you should be able to use the Layout tools to achieve similar results right in SU.

Good luck :)

Sean