Coordinate Issue

addesigns

I am inserting a DWG into Revit Arch 2014. There are 2 lines drawn at the point of origin, one along the x and the other along the y.

After I bring in the DWG and do a zoom all command in Revit everything is far away. I don't mind this but I would rather not have the lines in the DWG so that when I insert it into Revit and zoom all in 3D view it will only focus on the model (since the origin lines are gone).

I open the DWG, delete the lines, save the DWG, go back into Revit and insert the DWG again. This time the DWG lands at the point of origin. This is despite the fact that when I insert the DWG I told it to place it "Origin to Origin". My survey point and Project point both have a base of 0,0.

I don't understand what is wrong, where to look and why deleting the 2 lines at the origin in the DWG would cause this to happen. The origin is what it is, it does not change because I deleted a the two lines.

Anyone have any suggestions or solutions to this matter?

Thanks in advance, I will be checking frequently

Off topic but did you know that importing AutoCAD into Revit can cause major problems down the line?

Post the .dwg so we can have a look. It's probably something to do with that.

Unfortunately cant post due to confidentiality with work. Do you suggest just linking the DWG since it does not need to be on the server? Maybe that will work in place of inserting.

I'm having trouble fully understanding what is going on. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you could strip the file of proprietary information or make a dummy file that exhibits the same behavior, it would help me understand.

I will take a shot in the dark at it though:

Is the UCS in the .dwg set to "World"? If not, set it to world and see if that helps.

Muchas Gracias, I will go that route, I was just hoping someone might have a solution in general
Your original problem is unusual behavior. I attempted to run through the procedure quickly with some test files (using both importing and linking methods) and I could not recreate your error, which I was already certain I wouldn't be able to. This leads me to believe the lines representing the origin was not located at the true WCS origin in the DWG file, or the procedure used to import/link into Revit was not the Origin to Origin method. The error still needs to be whittled down to either DWG file or Revit procedure.

And Rob is correct, never import a DWG file. Always use the Link method which is fundamentally synchronous with external references in AutoCAD. An even better method is to create a Revit model from a blank template to house all the DWG files (each DWG file Linked per Level for 1st floor, 2nd floor, etc), which then is Linked into your working Revit project using Shared Coordinates and Copy/Monitored levels. This gives you the greatest control in visibility and preset Views when working with DWG's in Revit.

Been busy would have responded earlier. I went the route of linking since it wont be on the server, it is working fine. Wish I could post the dwg but with big brother watching...

I am going to consider the blank revit file to use as a placement for dwgs, seems that will work well for the projects that we work on. Thanks for the advice