Which program to work with VB.net ?

Michaels

Hello ,

I want to start learning VB.net , but I don't know which editor or program for VB.net and looking for your help .

Hope you provide a direct link please .

Please advise me experts . thanks in advance .

Edited by Michaels

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michaels

• BlackBox

• dbroada

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to the world of .NET Development. :beer:

You've got of new things ahead of you; you'll want to start with Visual Studio, which offers a new, free Community version:

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2013-community-vs.aspx

You're also going to want to become adept at .NET development concepts *before* you start digging into the AutoCAD .NET API, methinks.

In any event, this old thread may be of use in helping you to get started as well, despite several links needing to be updated, I'm sure:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?69646-Where-to-start-with-.Net

Cheers

Welcome to the world of .NET Development. :beer:

You've got of new things ahead of you; you'll want to start with Visual Studio, which offers a new, free Community version:

http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2013-community-vs.aspx

You're also going to want to become adept at .NET development concepts *before* you start digging into the AutoCAD .NET API, methinks.

In any event, this old thread may be of use in helping you to get started as well, despite several links needing to be updated, I'm sure:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?69646-Where-to-start-with-.Net

Cheers

Very helpful BlackBox thank you .

Cheers :beer:

Hi again BlackBox

I am confused about your reply in link below and I don't know which one I should install , ObjectARX or AutoCAD .net Wizard or AutoCAD .net add-in Wizard ?

Can you please help me with the best one ?

this reply here

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?69646-Where-to-start-with-.Net&p=476715&viewfull=1#post476715

Hi again BlackBox

I am confused about your reply in link below and I don't know which one I should install , ObjectARX or AutoCAD .net Wizard or AutoCAD .net add-in Wizard ?

Can you please help me with the best one ?

this reply here

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?69646-Where-to-start-with-.Net&p=476715&viewfull=1#post476715

Hi Michaels,

I've been buried with IT & production work this week, and am only now seeing this. :oops:

Sorry for any confusion - that post was from 2012, so a lot has changed since then.

To develop with AutoCAD .NET API, you'll need to download, and install the ObjectARX SDK for the applicable version(s). This will provide the necessary assembly references for developing your .NET Apps, such as AcMgd.dll, AcDbMgd.dll, and AcCoreMgd.dll (for 2013+).

Now, the Wizard is designed to help particularly newcomers to AutoCAD .NET API setup a Visual Studio project template, which automagically references the correct assemblies for you - you'll want to look here for current offerings. I should alos point out, that you don't have to use the AutoCAD .NET Wizard, as you can setup your own Visual Studio project template as you please; now that I am somewhat adept, I do this for my own AutoCAD & Civil 3D development. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Hi BlackBox :)

I wish you all the best with your work and you deserve all the best for your kind willing to help me and the others as well . many thanks .

I uninstall the .NET wizard and removed the current ObjectSDK folder and reinstall it again ( just to get sure not to have any intervention between them ) but nothing has changed and I still don't have the AutoCAD Plug-in in my Visual Studio , see the image below .

VS.jpg

Hi BlackBox :)

I wish you all the best with your work and you deserve all the best for your kind willing to help me and the others as well . many thanks .

I uninstall the .NET wizard and removed the current ObjectSDK folder and reinstall it again ( just to get sure not to have any intervention between them ) but nothing has changed and I still don't have the AutoCAD Plug-in in my Visual Studio , see the image below .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52931[/ATTACH]

That is incredibly kind of you to say, Michaels - one of the main reasons I strive to help where I can, is things haven't always been so great for me in recent years. They've finally turned around, and I have much to be thankful for.

Search your system for "AutoCAD 2015 CSharp plug-in.zip" (or in your case, VB?), and move/copy it to:

%userprofile%\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Templates\ProjectTemplates\[color="red"]Visual C#[/color]\[color="blue"]Autodesk[/color]

*IF* memory serves, I ended up having to restart my computer (a couple of times?), even though the installer never prompted me to do so.

Also, this thread may be of use:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/net/autocad-2015-net-wizard/m-p/5184757

Cheers

Search your system for "AutoCAD 2015 CSharp plug-in.zip" (or in your case, VB?), and move/copy it to:

%userprofile%\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Templates\ProjectTemplates\[color="red"]Visual C#[/color]\[color="blue"]Autodesk[/color]

Hi BlackBox ,

Unfortunately that is not found in my search :cry: What 's these unreasonable problems !! I am completely disappointed and have a feeling

to stop thinking about Visual Studio works :(

Many thanks for your reply and sorry for the confusion my friend .

I can't help but will add that it took me a long time to find a set up that worked. Had it not been for the help of BB and a couple of others I would have given up long ago. I still can't do much - too long between projects means having to re-learn all the time - but I am slowly getting there.

Thank you dbroada for your input , actually I am really frustrated with this start with Visual Studio and don't know where the problem lays , in AutoCAD or in VS !

I feel speechless and somehow angry with this misery end up .

Thanks

Thank you, Dave. :notworthy:

@Michaels - I'm sorry you're having difficulties getting started. It is frustrating, and can only encourage you to hang in there. This is a speed bump, and will be resolved. It's been a long time since I had to start from scratch, so let me set this all up from scratch in a new virtual machine sometime Monday and get back to you as my workload permits.

I am setting up a new Client Hyper-V VM, in order to install an Autodesk product Beta that shall not be named anyway, so a few extra steps to help clarify this topic is no trouble at all. :thumbsup:

Cheers

As a quick 'bandaid' so to speak, before making you wait for Monday, try downloading the attached, unblock them as needed, and place them in their respective folders here, and here:

**Note - You may need to create the Autodesk folders.

AutoCAD 2015 VB plug-in.zip (VB) -

%userprofile%\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual Basic\[color="red"]Autodesk[/color]

AutoCAD 2015 CSharp plug-in.zip (C#) -

%userprofile%\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\[color="red"]Autodesk[/color]

AutoCAD 2015 VB plug-in.zip

AutoCAD 2015 CSharp plug-in.zip

Forgot to mention, that you do not 'extract' these .ZIP files; just ensure they're located in the correct folder respectively, and Visual Studio does the rest for you. :thumbsup:

Good luck!

Hi again :)

I did what you asked to do and have the plug-in finally but I have error message after that . :(

plug-in.jpg

Error message.

error.jpg

When working properly, selecting the Wizard template results in being prompted to specify the location of the appropriate ObjectARX SDK, and the application's executable.

What order did you install each of these components?

Where did you obtain the component installers?

What is your OS and environment again?

Hi BB :)

When working properly, selecting the Wizard template results in being prompted to specify the location of the appropriate ObjectARX SDK, and the application's executable.

I am sorry I don't know how , there is not any browser button to search for a folder

What order did you install each of these components?

I installed .NEt wizard and the second plug-in NET wizard and uninstalled them all and kept the ObjectARX .

Where did you obtain the component installers?

Sorry , that is not clear enough to me .

What is your OS and environment again?

OS 64 bit .

Many thanks .

Okay, it took me a bit longer to get back to this than I'd like to admit, but here goes....

New Client Hyper-V Virtual Machine (VM); Win10x64 OS Technical Preview (all of my Win8.1x64 installs already have a working Visual Studio setup), and then installed Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate, no restart required:

ct_vs2013.setup.01.jpg

Installed 2015 ObjectARX SDK to C:\ObjectARX\2015\, no restart required.

Installed the "AutoCAD 2015 DotNet Wizards" .ZIP file from here (just in case something's changed; scroll down):

ct_vs2013.setup.02.jpg

Launched the 'new project' link, expanded Visual Basic/Visual C#, selected the Autodesk folder, and the newly installed template is available:

ct_vs2013.setup.03.jpg

Hit OK, and the DotNet Wizard is launched accordingly, and allowed me to create my new AutoCAD .NET project:

ct_vs2013.setup.04.jpg

ct_vs2013.setup.05.jpg