College student in need of laptop recommendations

flybikes1593

Yeah, not a fan of Lenovo either. Never liked IBM before they bought them out. Dell has been good to me. My son's 6 year old Dell is finally showing some issues. The fact that is was a $300 refurb only shows the value that I got out of it. We are going to build him a new PC and I am going to wipe his Dell clean and let my 9 year old use it. The cpu (Athlon II x2) is fine as well as the GT440 card. I think the 4gb ram should be fine but I think that the 500g hdd is dying. Not an expensive fix. Fresh install of Win7 and away we go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• f700es

• flybikes1593

• ReMark

My budget is $1,000-1,300.

Weight is not an issue to me.

I like my Alienware M18, but you will need to double the budget and weight will become an issue to you (the power brick weighs as much as most laptops). :lol:

Order on-line but have delivered to local Best Buy. That way in the unfortunate instance you need to return for repair.....

Get a wireless mouse and a Space Navigator (or http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacemouse/spacemousewireless.html) and you are good to go.

Yeah, not a fan of Lenovo either. Never liked IBM before they bought them out. Dell has been good to me. My son's 6 year old Dell is finally showing some issues. The fact that is was a $300 refurb only shows the value that I got out of it. We are going to build him a new PC and I am going to wipe his Dell clean and let my 9 year old use it. The cpu (Athlon II x2) is fine as well as the GT440 card. I think the 4gb ram should be fine but I think that the 500g hdd is dying. Not an expensive fix. Fresh install of Win7 and away we go.
I would wait a few days to go Lenovo shopping. Somebody hacked and spoofed their main domain page today. Apparently it was a hacker protest of the superfish software fiasco. Anyway, the website is back up, but cache pages are still showing signs of the hack. It should shake out over the next few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by Dana W viewpost-right.png

I like tiger direct, they have a store about 15 miles from me that is as big as a super home depot. I don't even have to wait for shipping, or even pay shipping. if I buy something from them over the internet. I just have it shipped to the store.

God I hate you...LOL

It was worth reading this thread just for that! Ha! Love it.

--HC

Wow. I never would have seen a seque from a question re a laptop for Inventor to politics...but somehow...here it is. Wow.

:)

--HC

Wow. I never would have seen a seque from a question re a laptop for Inventor to politics...but somehow...here it is. Wow.--HC

The real trick that this thread stayed civil in the discussion ;)