Select "by color" those objects that their color is set to "by layer"

cancer24

Hello Everyone.

I know my question may sound simple, but it is not! I tried Qselect and Filter, AND I did not get what I wanted.

I have a large architectural drawing that I need manage effectively to export to 3ds max .... It consists of many layers, but few colors.

I would like to have a way or a lisp so that:

I can select all objects (lines, polylines, circles, arcs) that have a specific color (Cyan for example).....

You'll say, use Qselect , or filter...... It does not work.

The problem arises, when I have objects color set to "By layer"!

There is a file attached...... Some objects colors are set "by layer" ..... some are modified explicitly.

Please help..... Any lisp routine will be helpful!

Example problem.dwg

Edited by cancer24

If you avoid object level property overrides (which is best practice anyway), it only takes a couple clicks to create a Layer Filter. Combine with a LayerState for quick retrieval.

I am not the one who did the drawings, I usually receive drawings to create 3D visualization in 3DS MAX ..... They'll contain tons of layers and objects.... some objects properties are by layers, some are modified at the object level.

If you avoid object level property overrides (which is best practice anyway), it only takes a couple clicks to create a Layer Filter. Combine with a LayerState for quick retrieval.

What you say makes sense, if I am the one who did the drawing.... But the situation is I receive drawings (to export them to 3ds max for visualization), that contains tons of layers and objects, some are modified by layers, some at the object level.... I need to to be able to select objects by their color, so when I export them to max, I can group the objects by their color.

With filter you can use the "OR" function.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52864[/ATTACH]

I don't really know what you just did, but I think you're saying that I should use the OR/AND functions in the filter command ..... that's fine, in the case I have a drawing that contains very few layers, just like the example I attached.

But imagine I have a drawing that contains 81 layers, and hundred of objects, some have the color property (by layer), some the color property is overridden.

Let me digress, and I ask you another question.

Do you know a way I can merge layers, so that the objects on these layers, retain their previous properties after merge.

The problem with the layermerge command, it clears the properties of the objects once the merging process done, and assign their properties to (BYLAYER).... that's not what I want.

Let me digress, and I ask you another question.

Do you know a way I can merge layers, so that the objects on these layers, retain their previous properties after merge.

The problem with the layermerge command, it clears the properties of the objects once the merging process done, and assign their properties to (BYLAYER).... that's not what I want.

Please make a new thread for new questions. Merging layers only muddies the waters of the original question.

Hello Everyone.

I know my question my sound simple, but it is not! I tried Qselect and Filter, AND I did not get what I wanted.

I have a large architectural drawing that I need manage effectively to export to 3ds max .... It consists of many layers, but few colors.

I would like to have a way or a lisp so that:

I can select all objects (lines, polylines, circles, arcs) that have a specific color (Cyan for example).....

You'll say, use Qselect , or filter...... It does not work.

The problem arises, when I have objects color set to "By layer"!

There is a file attached...... Some objects colors are set "by layer" ..... some are modified explicitly.

Please help..... Any lisp routine will be helpful!

Why not do two sets for each color, instead of one?

It's easy enough to go through and select all the objects that have had their color assigned to something other than ByLayer. After going through each color, you could then get the isolate the layers of each color for the objects that have "ByLayer" assigned.

I'm guessing that this could be coded.