Framing plan??????

Razorcad

I work for a structural engineering/consulting company. Im new and having trouble understanding my bosses explination on drawing framing plans. He tells me that in a frame plan for each floor we show the walls below the floor your working on and show the strucutural elements from the floor above, like beams, joists, etc...

Is this true?Is that how you design a frame plan? (to me it would make more sense to draw the walls of the floor your working on and show the structural elements, beams, joists etc... of the floor above)

If so why is it like that, its a little confusing?

Sorry guys, I didnt know where to place this thread. According to the description this place seemed like the best fit.

You must have misunderstood the boss. He must have meant "we show the walls below the floor you're working on and show the structural elements from the floor above THOSE WALLS, like beams, joists, etc...

The walls below are what is holding up the floor you are working on now. There are beam pockets and other supports for your current floor in the walls below which will have to be located on the current floor plan. What is above the current floor framing IS NOT SHOWN.

For instance, the 1st floor framing plan shows the basement walls, and the 1st floor framing. (under your feet, not over your head.)

Thats for the super quick response Dana!

Everything makes more sense now and I understand that "The walls below are what is holding up the floor you are working on now. There are beam pockets and other supports for your current floor in the walls below which will have to be located on the current floor plan." maybe the reason for why structural plans are designed that way. But it still doesnt make sense why those types of plans are being designed that way. To me its easier to draw the walls of the floor that your working on and show the structural members that those walls are holding up.

Thats for the super quick response Dana!

Everything makes more sense now and I understand that "The walls below are what is holding up the floor you are working on now. There are beam pockets and other supports for your current floor in the walls below which will have to be located on the current floor plan." maybe the reason for why structural plans are designed that way. But it still doesnt make sense why those types of plans are being designed that way. To me its easier to draw the walls of the floor that your working on and show the structural members that those walls are holding up.

Well, the concept is, whatever has to be built first. you can't put up the first floor walls until the first floor is built. Say you are doing the first floor framing plan, you have to show what's holding it up, and what's holding it up is the basement walls. The people putting in the floor framing need to know where on the basement walls to put the stuff for the first floor framing. In a drafting plan view, one is always looking down, not up.

Besides, the guys running your company didn't get where they are by drawing it wrong.