Stretch or resize drawings with multiple source and destination points

ctdlc888

Are the invisible objects inside the boundary going to get bigger and further apart as the boundary changes? Are the "destination" points going to be random distances away from the "start" points, or are the two boundaries parallel?

OK, you posted in an AutoCad forum, are you actually using land desktop, or AutoCad?

Yes Dana, 1) the objects inside will also resize as the boundary changes, 2) destination points are at random distances from start points and c) two boundaries are not parallel as in the figure. I use land desktop but I made the drawing in another computer with AutoCad. thanks

Since the objects get bigger with the spreading of the boundary, you could use the scale command, but the fact that the new boundary points are at random distances means that you can't do that using the boundary as a scale reference, and I guess you already realise that. I'm not sure how to go about this. If the increase is a known amount, you could scale the objects, and then just redraw the new boundary.

Is there any chance you could post a drawing of the before and after, more than just the outline example?

Let's say you do get the inner boundary to stretch or scale up to match the outer boundary. What will determine how much any interior objects are scaled?

I can the inner boundary being stretched to fit the outer boundary. I cannot see how one would scale it.

I can not figure that out also unless there is a reference point. I wondered if this is possible in AutoCad since we do that thing in Manifold GIS software where distorted or shrunk raster maps are restored to their four correct quadrangles' coordinates by their four corners (similar as source and destination procedure) .It is called 'georeferencing'. There's got to be a way how Manifold solved or approached the solution. Dana and ReMark, I have no presentable before and after drawing because i cannot do a solution although i tried five series of scaling with different base points for parts of the drawing. That didn't gave good result. I appreciate and thank you. Still the manifold idea haunts me.

You're talking about two totally different programs. To my knowledge there is nothing native to AutoCAD that would be equivalent to the feature mentioned in Manifold GIS.

How about Rubber Sheeting?

This from help files of Land Desktop:-

Rubber Sheeting Two Maps

Rubber sheet the less accurate data to fit the more accurate data. Perform a query to bring in the source drawing and apply rubber sheeting to the two maps. If you have set up a system of control points, or monuments, use this data as the reference to which you rubber sheet other maps.

To rubber sheet two maps

1. From the menu bar, choose Map Tools Rubber Sheet.

2. When prompted on the command line for Base point 1, specify the first common feature on map 2, the warped map.

3. When prompted on the command line for Reference point 1, specify the corresponding feature on map 1, the accurate map.

4. Follow the prompts on the command line and continue specifying base and reference points. When you're done, press ENTER.

The order in which you select the points and the spread of the points will affect the results. As a rule of thumb for complex curved figures, the more vertices you enter, the more accurate the proportionate stretching is.

5. Select the objects to rubber sheet. Enter a to select objects by area, or s to select objects individually. If you queried all objects in the warped map onto their own layer, select that layer.

6. Press ENTER to complete the selection process.