autocad slow to open/save files when on internet

autoadam

i am working with cad files originally on a network server at work, but now being used on a local computer at home. i need to know if i can tell autocad to ignore the internet when opening/saving files so that it does not freeze up looking for the server. all drawings open normally when not connected to the internet. i want internet on the computer but not have autocad see it. is it possible? i am using ac2005. thanks.

cadtech,

yeah i think thats what its looking for. xrefs and attached raster images. once i open the drawings i can redirect the paths using 'relative path' and 'no path' so that it looks on the local computer first. once the paths are redirected the drawing opens ok (occationaly they still freeze up though-maybe i missed something on those). the problem is that in order to do this i have to disconnect from the internet to open files that i havent opened before. its just becomes an efficiency issue.

also, i'm not sure if its the internet exactly that autocad is looking for. its that the xrefs and rasters are on network drives t:\ and p:\ from work and there is no way for autocad to find those. maybe that is the same as autocad looking for the internet i dont know enough about that. all i know is that it works fine when there is no internet connection.

thanks for any help,

adam

• 2 years later...

I'm having the same problem:

I work from home and access the company's server by vpn connection. when I work on drawings at home, I save them locally, including x-refs. I then detach all images, redirect all x-refs.

In Options > files - i have ensured all files / file searchs are local (i've save all our blocks, linetypes, dimtypes, etc locally as well).

I assume acad is still trying to do something over the vpn.. even though the vpn is not connected.

what am i missing?

Thanks,

Dan