How to do staircase handrails.

MarcSalme

Have you looked at similar threads regarding spiral staircases here at CADTutor? I'm pretty sure the topic has come up before.

Can you provide us with any further information regarding your staircase? What is the rise? What is the tread? Will this be a wood or concrete stairway? Any other information you can provide would be helpful.

Have you looked at similar threads regarding spiral staircases here at CADTutor? I'm pretty sure the topic has come up before.

Can you provide us with any further information regarding your staircase? What is the rise? What is the tread? Will this be a wood or concrete stairway? Any other information you can provide would be helpful.

The rise idk, what is the standard if you know? Im really having a hard time with the software, my prof sucks at teaching... letting us imagine her lectures in the air, this was just from one of the pages on her floor plans book. Im not into the design for now at the least, but i think its wood... I just need to have an extruded handrails that match with the stairs... what tread? gosh im a total noob in autocad -_-

Maybe you should become familiar with some of the terms first.

The rise will be dependent on the distance between floors. Do you know what that is going to be?

Do you know what you will be using as the profile for your handrail?

Will you be including balusters in your design?

Will you be including a newel post?

Have you at least gone online and looked at images of curved wood staircases to have some idea of what the various design options are?

BTW...that circular end of your railing is called a volute. You will need a special step at the bottom of your staircase called a curtail bullnose to accommodate it.

Learn more here about staircase terminology and design....http://www.pearstairs.co.uk/staircase-glossary/

Another website where you can learn more about the anatomy of a staircase.....https://www.sierrastairworks.com/Staircase_Terminology.html

At this point I would work out the design of my 3D stairs first (rise and run) and wait on the design of the 3D handrail.

An observation. In your drawing the handrails are the same width as some of your interior walls. Normally that would not be the case with wood handrails.

Question. Some of your walls measure 0.5 and others 0.33 decimal inches. Did you draw the floor plan "to scale" like one might do manually on a drafting board? Generally speaking all objects in model space should be drawn FULL size. If a wall is 6 inches (or 150mm) thick that's what you draw it. If a handrail is 2.5 inches (or 62mm) wide that's what you draw it. Didn't your teacher cover this in class?

Where are you located?

Edited by ReMark

An example of a curved handrail using a simple profile.

3D Curved Handrail.PNG

The profile was extruded along a path formed by part of a helix. The difference in height between the top of the rail (at low end) and the top of the rail (at the high end) is 96 inches. The helix base radius was 72 inches; top radius was 72 inches. The number of turns was 0.25 so basically the railing turns 90 degrees.

Maybe you should become familiar with some of the terms first.

The rise will be dependent on the distance between floors. Do you know what that is going to be?

Do you know what you will be using as the profile for your handrail?

Will you be including balusters in your design?

Will you be including a newel post?

Have you at least gone online and looked at images of curved wood staircases to have some idea of what the various design options are?

BTW...that circular end of your railing is called a volute. You will need a special step at the bottom of your staircase called a curtail bullnose to accommodate it.

Learn more here about staircase terminology and design....http://www.pearstairs.co.uk/staircase-glossary/

Another website where you can learn more about the anatomy of a staircase.....https://www.sierrastairworks.com/Staircase_Terminology.html

At this point I would work out the design of my 3D stairs first (rise and run) and wait on the design of the 3D handrail.

An observation. In your drawing the handrails are the same width as some of your interior walls. Normally that would not be the case with wood handrails.

Question. Some of your walls measure 0.5 and others 0.33 decimal inches. Did you draw the floor plan "to scale" like one might do manually on a drafting board? Generally speaking all objects in model space should be drawn FULL size. If a wall is 6 inches (or 150mm) thick that's what you draw it. If a handrail is 2.5 inches (or 62mm) wide that's what you draw it. Didn't your teacher cover this in class?

Where are you located?

Based on your statements, i think the construction of my stairs is wrong, i would like to do a new one but I dont have the time, AND if there is only a command that can split a region in to small pieces, i think it would be helpful.

btw, I just copied the measurements of the whole drawing from a page of a book, the floor plan really didnt have measurements, just a plain floor plan that has rooms that is why I chose to just rely on the measurements on the page, my teacher told us to have different measurements of walls (exterior and interior) and she won't help me in my staircase( I think Im the one with the hardest staircase) And just so you know it, SHE DOESN'T TEACH WELL, her lectures are so confusing

Sorry for being a dumbster, The example of your curved handrail is great, I wish I can do one too but with balustrade, but my main goal for now is to extrude something that looks like a handrail and balustrade, a solid block can do, I also didnt know what are the measurements of things -_- (such as the handrails)

The rise? my walls height are 4.5, idk the unit, i just typed 4.5

I don't know really where to begin.

What is the exact nature of this assignment/project and when is it due? Will you be using imperial or metric units?

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask "if there is only a command that can split a region into small pieces..."

Did you look at either or both of the links I provided in my last post? If you had you would not equate "rise" with the height of a wall.

Rise and run are terms used when referring to the design of stairs. Rise is the height of the step while run is the depth of the step. For example, the rise on a step might be 8 inches while the run (the stair tread itself, i.e. - where you place your foot) might be 10 inches. Rise will vary though as it is wholly dependent on the vertical distance between two floors.

Is it too late to pick another house to draw? I would suggest a single story house which would eliminate the curved staircase you are currently stuck drawing. It would make your life a lot less stressful.

It does not help that you used as your method literally measuring a floor plan found in a book and transferring those measurements to CAD. Maybe if you knew what you were doing from the start you could use this as a basis for your drawing as after having drawn the plan it could have been scaled up to something a little closer to reality in terms of dimensions. Then things, like your staircase, could have started to make more sense. Remember when I wrote earlier all your model space objects should be drawn FULL size? Full size means that if you are drawing a paper clip that is 1 1/4"x1/4" those are the dimensions you input into AutoCAD. Same thing holds true if you are drawing a Boeing 787 Dreamliner and you have a length of 206 feet (63 meters) and a wingspan of 197 feet (60 meters). Those are the dimensions you input into AutoCAD. And there is one more thing I would have recommended if you are located in the United States doing an architectural drawing. I would have suggested using architectural (feet and inches) units and not decimal (inches) units.

I give your teacher a failing grade when it comes to offering you guidance on this project. As for what I might grade her when it comes to AutoCAD itself remains to be seen. At the moment I would give her a barely passing grade.

Edited by ReMark

I took a look at your 3D walls for the first and second floors. Did you know that some of the walls do not line up correctly? It is important to check these kinds of details from time to time during the modeling process. This can be done by copying portions of the model off to one side and viewing them using the 3DORBIT command. Was this command covered in class? BTW..you do have a few other inconsistencies in your model. Give it another, close, look.

Can you post an image of the floor plan(s) you are working off of from the book? Was there at least a front and maybe one side elevation included too? It would be helpful to see what the roof looks like.

3DCurvedHandRail.jpg

Is this sort of what you had in mind? I extruded your "railing" then sliced it using a surface I constructed out of a 3Dpolyline. Given the height of your steps (a quarter of an inch) I had to guess at the height of the rail off the top of each step. I used a height of one inch. Looks almost like a parapet wall on a highway overpass don't you think?:lol:

A simple way to create a 3d spiral stair is to make a single tread block and copy vertically and rotate the correct angle, the handrail can be a simple circle extruded along a path the only tricky bit is you must set up a ucs with center pt as the stair and incline angle equal to the rise then just extrude along path.

ScreenShot028.jpg

BIGAL: Did you open the OP's drawing and take a look at his stairs? Your suggestion is good but won't necessarily work in the OP's drawing unless he changes his floor plan.