elevation and sections from 3d model

jamos

good day all your educated people. I am using autocad for some time now, but almost all of the work I have been doing was in 2d. recently I started to explore 3d. I have downloaded some tutorials and am able to build and render relatively acceptable 3d models of residential dwellings. what i don't know how to do is actually I simple thing (at least I think it aught to be) Once I have done my design and built the 3d model, I want to "capture" the four elevations, to use it in my council drawings. I have made several attempts but not to my satisfaction. I also would like it to be like when viewed as in "hide" view. sorry if this is a question already handled in the forums, but I couldn't find one explaining my problem. I am thanking you in advance. I am using AutoCAD 2014

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• nestly

• jamos

• tzframpton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 2D elevations can be extracted from the 3D model in a handful of ways. The one I suggest you use is alternately referred to as Base View and View Base. Don't ask why. It should be noted that when using this method the 2D views will be placed in the layout and not in model space. So my question to you is are you familiar with layouts?

Other methods available include....

1. Flatshot

2. SectionPlane

3. SolProf

4. SolDraw/SolView

Your AutoCAD Help file will have information about all of these commands. If you are going to be doing something like this fairly often then I would suggest you test each method and find the one that works best for your situation. I would construct a simple 3D model of a single story house with a gabled roof for testing rather than use something more elaborate.

Hello ReMark, thank you very much. I copied your reply and will look into it tomorrow sometime. I think I am relatively familiar with model and layouts spaces. I have tried flatshot as well as sectionplane, but when the program create the block of the elevation view or section, it makes a block showing all the other lines/items in the background, and not only these you would see when applying the Hide command. however, I with explore this issue tomorrow and come back to you if needed. I really appreciate the help.

FLATSHOT dialog box has options to show or hide obscure lines, as well as control the color and linetype of both forground and obscure lines... Tangential edges as well.

I'm sure SECTIONPLANE does as well, if by no other means by reducing the depth of the section.

Also, VIEWBASE is the newest tool for creating 2d representations of 3D models. 2012 was the first year for it, so it's a bit rough around the edges, but it's gotten significantly better if you have access to AutoCAD2014 or 2015. It's section and detail views are pretty powerful

I would suggest staying away from FLATSHOT as it creates a disconnected view of the model and will not update as changes are needed. Alternatively, look into the Revit platform for a much easier and more intuitive CAD application for the architectural design industry. Creating sections and elevations take one click and its completely connected and bidirectional with all changes and updates to the 3D model.

thankyou for all the replies. I tried the various options and drafted a further enquiry, so I think I will post it anyway. maybe one of you can point me further in the right direction.

here it is:

Hello Remark

I have tried the options you have suggested, but it createdmore problems than solutions….

First I tried the ViewBase command. This works really fine,but I would like to be able to use the created elevations, by do some editingon that, preferably by taking them back to modelspace and to explode themthere, then edit what I want to edit. Is that possible?

Secondly, I have read everythingabout Flatshot, and that seems to be exactly what I want, although when I usethe command the result is not what the Help File promised. In the Help filethey say:

Set up the view of the 3D model.

Click Home tabSectionpanelFlatshot.

In the Flatshot dialog box, under Destination, click one of the options.

Change the color and linetype settings for Foreground and Obscuredlines.

Click Create.

Specify an insertion point on the screen to place the block. Adjust thebasepoint, scale, and rotation if necessary.

A block is created consisting of 2D geometry that is projected ontothe XY plane of the current UCS”

WhenI do this, it creates an “flatshot”, but not of the view I was looking at mymodel (I used SW isometric view), and also, the basepoint of the created blockis where I choose it to be, but the block linked to basepoint is far away onthe screen, very far away.

I amsure it is a simple thing I am just doing wrong, but it seems that I ‘m notable to figure out what. If you candirect me in the right direction it will be very much appreciated

Kindregards and thanx a lot, Jamos

What kinds of edits would you be making in the 2D views that would not be originally done in the 3D model? The 3D model is the basis of all reality. If your 2D representations have been edited then they no longer reflect reality.

With regard to Drawing View (VIEWBASE command), those are live representations of the Model, so no, it's not possible to edit the geometry. I don't know if 2012 supported it, but latter versions allow you to export the Base View (EXPORTLAYOUT) where the Drawing Views would be converted into simple line/arcs etc. and would no longer have any association with the original geometry.

Regarding FLATSHOT, it projects all the 3D Solids and Surfaces that are visible, so if you only want to create Flatshot blocks of part of your model, use the ISOLATEOBJECTS command (easily accessed from the right click menu) before using FLATSHOT. You are however at the mercy of FLATSHOT regarding the basepoint of the Block. The best solution I've found for that is LeeMac's Change Block Insertion Lisp to quickly change the block basepoint.

"...the basepoint of the created blockis where I choose it to be, but the block linked to basepoint is far away onthe screen, very far away."

The Basepoint option will allow you to relocate the basepoint of the geometry (2D view) that Flatshot created.

The Basepoint option will allow you to relocate the basepoint of the geometry (2D view) that Flatshot created.

Actually, it doesn't. That only established a temporary reference point for inserting the block.... the Basepoint remains where ever Flatshot decided it wanted it.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but FLATSHOT is a tool I've used frequently for many years, and I've never been able to change the basepoint of the block during the command.

FLATSHOT basepoint.gif

We've had this discussion before about commands working differently even though we both use the same version.

I just repeated the exercise I ran the first time and I am able to pick a new basepoint on the flatshot (2D block) I am inserting. Just to be clear...I am not picking on the 3D model.

Actually, it doesn't. That only established a temporary reference point for inserting the block.... the Basepoint remains where ever Flatshot decided it wanted it.

same here. very annoying as i use it a lot.

same here. very annoying as i use it a lot.

I think there's a miscommunication. I've seen too many threads and too many Autodesk sponsored tutorials to believe you can change the defined basepoint during FLATSHOT command. When inserting the Flatshot block, it's actually the command line version of the INSERT Command, where the user can specify a "basepoint" but it doesn't change the actual Basepoint of the block, it only creates a temporary reference basepoint for placing the block/xref. For that matter, COPY and MOVE command also prompt the user for a "basepoint" but again, it's a temporary reference point that exists only as long as the command is active.

Third and final test.

Flatshot, Enter > Create, Enter > Specify insertion point or [basepoint/Scale/X/Y/Z/Rotate]: B, Enter. STOP! Immediately after hitting the Enter key the crosshairs can be repositioned. AutoCAD prompts: FLATSHOT Specify base point: and I can pick on any part of the block geometry itself and move it where I want on the screen.

Third and final test.

Flatshot, Enter > Create, Enter > Specify insertion point or [basepoint/Scale/X/Y/Z/Rotate]: B, Enter. STOP! Immediately after hitting the Enter key the crosshairs can be repositioned. AutoCAD prompts: FLATSHOT Specify base point: and I can pick on any part of the block geometry itself and move it where I want on the screen.

OK, do that, then Select the block and post a screenshot that shows the Basepoint Grip.

Why would it matter at this point? The block has been inserted.

Don't think that really needs an answer, as it's probably covered in the first paragraph of every piece of reference material ever written about the creation of Blocks.

I gave the OP a way of controlling the basepoint upon insertion of the block. If that isn't what he wanted fine. Makes no difference to me. BTW....you don't need a grip to move a block. As a matter of fact if grips were that important maybe they should have included their use a lot earlier in AutoCAD's development. I wonder how users got anything done before their introduction? I guess the CAD world was in limbo up to that point.:lol:

"Hey Joe, how do I move this darn block? There's no blue thingy!" "I don't know Mike," responds Joe, "we'll just have to wait until someone comes up with one."