UK dormer extension drawings costs

sparkyuk

Hello All her in doors has been watching a improve your house type program on UK TV and saw them building a dormer in the roof, my question is how much would a set of drawings including any work by structural engineer cost please, the dormer would be about 5.5 mts across and 5mts from ridge line and only one room with stairs and looking like below if it helps

Loft_Extension.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sparkyuk

• Glen1980

• danellis

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More than a couple of pints :D look up the phone book or local paper for a construction company or drafting service and they will be able to give you an idea, where I am "The extension factory" by the time you hang up the phone there will be a knock on the dooor.

Don't think The extension factory will be knocking on my door that quick long flight from aus to the UK lol

Yes I have already made local enquiries and the drawings are not cheap, I was after what everyone else charges in the UK so see if what they want is about right.

Depends on what your definition of "cheap" is.

I can't imagine plans for a simple dormer like that to be all that costly but you throw in a set of stairs and that will jack the price right up.

Edited by ReMark

I presume that you have done a Google search and come up with something like this

Hi Eldon

I have already had appox costs of between £15,000 & £20,000 for the extension but until they have plans they are unable to firm up costs, I was only after the cost of the drawings not the extension at this time, I assumed someone on here would have been doing these drawings all the time and would be able to tell me what they charge on average ?

Why not draw the plans up yourself?

I'm an electrician not an architect and wouldnt have a clue what size timber / steel is required for the job, so that's why I am asking for a price for someone to do them for me.

What specifically does your local building department require in the way of drawings for something like what you propose?

According to the Planning Portal extensions guide here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/miniguides/lofts/Lofts.pdf at that size (27.5m2) Planning Permission would be required, and it would be irrespective of size if the dormer were facing the street). The fee for an householder Planning Application is £172. You would also require Building Regulations approval, which a quick google suggests is £400-£500. You need to decide whether you'd want to manage these applications yourself (only paying for the drawings) or whether the person you employ should manage them for you. I'm sure this would affect the fees they'd charge!

The drawings required for the Planning Application would be:

• Location plan showing your home in the context of it's neighbourhood.
  • Block plan at a larger scale, showing just your home.
  • Before and after floor plans.
  • Before and after elevations.

I'd have to check for Building Regs but they'd essentially need the drawings necessary to build the extension itself, more detailed floor plans, sections, along with engineering calculations to prove your existing structure would be up to the job of holding the extra weight up.

HTH

dJE

Our building control department tell me that they do not need to see any drawings for this type of work as planning is not required if it is under 40 cubic metres for terraced houses, but they do check the work as its being constructed to make sure it complies with the building regulations, they tell me I just need to employ a building contractor who carries out this sort of work all the time as they will know the correct way of construction a dormer and will sort out what steel need to be added etc.

I wanted full drawings for my peace of mind so that I can see what and how it is going to be carried out and that I will avoid any trouble down the line, and that any quote I get is for the full job and non of " Oh that wasn't allowed for etc etc costs added"

Sorry Danellis I didn't answer your post was on the phone while typing above.

Yes you right 5.5 x 5 x 2.4 = 66 cubic metres i believe my maths is correct so I would have to lower the size of it to about 4x4x2.4 to not need planning correct?

And thank you for the detail info you have supplied

Edited by sparkyuk
didnt see danellis post

Roughly speaking, yes, your maths is correct. Please do remember that the dormer would have to be rear-facing to count as PD = if it's front-facing you'd still need planning permission.

No problem at all re:detailed info.

dJE

Our building control department tell me that they do not need to see any drawings for this type of work as planning is not required if it is under 40 cubic metres for terraced houses, but they do check the work as its being constructed to make sure it complies with the building regulations, they tell me I just need to employ a building contractor who carries out this sort of work all the time as they will know the correct way of construction a dormer and will sort out what steel need to be added etc.

I wanted full drawings for my peace of mind so that I can see what and how it is going to be carried out and that I will avoid any trouble down the line, and that any quote I get is for the full job and non of " Oh that wasn't allowed for etc etc costs added"

Sorry Danellis I didn't answer your post was on the phone while typing above.

Yes you right 5.5 x 5 x 2.4 = 66 cubic metres i believe my maths is correct so I would have to lower the size of it to about 4x4x2.4 to not need planning correct?

And thank you for the detail info you have supplied

I am sure you know this but I will say it anyway.

Planning means that you need a licensed design/build contractor, as we call them over here, not just a bunch of blokes with a hammer, saw, and work truck. The remodel/refurbish industry on this side of the ocean is so full of criminals, we have to go to great lengths to vet such contractors. Watch your step. The U.S. has no monopoly on shysters, hucksters, and downright sociopathic people in this industry.

The U.S. has no monopoly on shysters, hucksters, and downright sociopathic people in this industry.

Yeah but over here we call them "Cowboys" :shock:

I've just asked the guy at work who does lots of private work and he says a grand all in for planning, regs and structural calcs, drawings only all submissions are paid for by his client.

Thanks Glen that is about what I Have been told by some one else and I was thinking it sounder a lot but it isn't, and I see it includes the structural calcs as well.

Looks like if her in doors wants the full size 5.5mt x 5 mt dormer we will have to get planning so just a case of finding someone local to do the drawings for me.

or whether the person you employ should manage them for you. I'm sure this would affect the fees they'd charge!

It probably would affect the price quite a lot as having your name on official documents may make the tax man come calling ;)