It's Monday and I'm stuck on a Sweep...

ColinPearson

Hey folks, hope y'all are well.

I'm modelling a piece of equipment that basically is two different diameter pipes intersecting each other at the point where one branch has an eccentric reducer. I've got everything except the reinforcement that I believe will go around this joint. That will likely consist of 1" plate about 4" to 6" wide wrapped around the outside of each line (the vertical and the horizontal pipes). See this picture... it's lousy but it gets the point across.colinpearson.weebly.com

http://colinpearson.weebly.com/

Usually for nozzle reinforcements like this, I offset the outside diameter of one line the thickness of the plate that's used (i.e., 1" in this example) and then offset the other line the width of the plate that's used (i.e., 4" to 6" in this example). Then I subtract each inside diameter solid so I have two hollow cylindrical solids at right angles and finally intersect these two hollow cylinders to get my reinforcement. This does NOT work if the intersection is anything but 90 degrees (centerline intersection angle is not 90 OR in the case where there's a reducer involved) so I wanted to know if anyone had a 'right' way to do this.

dwg attached, thanks folks!

CA-102 Riser.dwg

Irm, the way I'm thinking about it, the edges of the reinforcement plate should be pretty much perpendicular to the surface which it wraps around. Maybe a little bit off due to the actual rolling process of the reinforcement plate but I typically show that angle perpendicular as you suggest. I can clean that up pretty easily I think, but the 'real' issue to me is that I still don't think I'm going about it right. I think that angle looking being acute is one symptom of me doing this wrong.

The worst part is the reinforcement pad near the centerline intersection of the two lines... due to the differing diameters I get that nasty looking shape where in real life I'd have a constant-width band wrapping around that wall penetration.

Thanks for getting back :)

Hey SeanT thanks! So, draw a circle of the right width, intersect shape that with the original solid, explode the intersect to get at the outer face then thicken to match the plate thickness I wanted... thanks!!!