select invisible insert point

Emmanuel Delay

Hi,

I have a few blocks, containing attributes, but no lines (or anything else). All blocks are inserted on the same point.

There is nothing visible on that insert point.

It would be nice to be able to select (corner select) these blocks, just by crossing the insert point.

Notice: some of the blocks might have attributes that stay empty. It's hard to select these.

Is there some variable that enables this? Or any other thoughts?

Ensure that in the Object Settings you have ticked the Insertion box, then when your cursor crosses the insertion point it can be snapped to.

You can also change the position of the insertion in the block editor. But be aware this will also affect all existing blocks in the drawing.

>> You can also change the position of the insertion in the block editor...

No, that is not acceptable.

---

>> Ensure that in the Object Settings you have ticked the Insertion box ...

Object snap settings?

No, this doesn't work.

Let me give an example in attachment.

Drawing1.dwg

So the goal is to select these two blocks, without touching the text. The blocks are inserted at 0,0,0.

So select the blocks by only selecting point 0,0,0.

If both of the blocks are inserted at 0,0,0 as in your drawing then how can you differentiate between the blocks when passing your cursor over the origin? I just can't see the sense in what you are doing, what is your reason for doing it this way?

As Dave said there is no way of doing this simply by going over the origin, but if you use Quick Select > Entire Drawing > Block Reference > Position X = 0, then that will select all blocks with an X insertion coordinate of 0.

Yeah, you can't do it there is nothing there to select, but if there is something there you can. I don't really understand why you would want to select something off screen, but if you add something to the block at the insertion point, it will be selectable.

If you could bring yourself to actually click on the block first, then the Grip point appears at 0,0.

By clicking on the Grip point at 0,0, you can then move the block.

SelectInvisiblePoint.PNG

If you could bring yourself to actually click on the block first, then the Grip point appears at 0,0.

By clicking on the Grip point at 0,0, you can then move the block.

although this doesn't work if you don't have any attributes filled in.

Plenty of ways to do this if the block was modified slightly but that seems out of the question.

It would be nice to just have this variable. You set it to 1, then it can select insert points; not just visible stuff.

Nothing to do about this ... unless any Autocad programmers are listening ...

Nothing to do about this ... unless any Autocad programmers are listening ...

You need to use the block. Make it work the way you want to by making it so that you can use it. It is not a programming thing. The tools are there but you refuse to use them. In order to select a block by the insertion point, you need to have something there. The solution is simple. PUT SOMETHING THERE. You can make it so that it doesn't plot and is so insignificantly visible that you would not notice it unless you are looking for it.

You need to use the block. Make it work the way you want to by making it so that you can use it. It is not a programming thing. The tools are there but you refuse to use them. In order to select a block by the insertion point, you need to have something there. The solution is simple. PUT SOMETHING THERE. You can make it so that it doesn't plot and is so insignificantly visible that you would not notice it unless you are looking for it.

That's right Rob. Zero length lines are great for this. Stay away from points because if any one changes the point style and size options then you could have a right mess.

I'm repeating myself: I'm not in a position to change the blocks.

Big company, we process things we get from others, sometimes what we get is not the same thing as what we would like to get.

( If you want a visual picture, I'm not a top shelf bird http://img.pandawhale.com/post-2876-when-top-level-guys-look-down-kPR3.jpeg )

Someone has to be in the position to change the blocks. Talk to them about it and tell them that the way they are now is hindering your work flow and a lot of time will be wasted unless it is changed. I'm low man here, also in a large company, and am allowed to change things like that. Maybe you just don't realize that you are allowed to do something like that.

No matter how I try to look at it, what you are saying doesn't really make sense unless you need to return the file with the same block definition intact. Even given that, it would be simple enough to redefine the block before sending back.

The mind does go into overdrive every now and again. If there was a block which only contained attributes, and the attributes were not filled in, so there was nothing there, why would you want to move it? :?

He never said that all the attributes were empty, only some of them.

Plus, he never said he wanted to move it. That's probably above his level of duties, too. I'm assuming he wants to edit the attributes without actually seeing them on the screen.