.dwg Files' Size are reduced SIGNIFICANTLY just by saving???

Beeftimer

So this is very odd. I am going through a process to clean up some .dwg files to save them as .dxf. One of the goals is to reduce the size of the files to

Don't ask me how I stumbled across this... phenomena, but when I download the original .dwg file to my computer, it will have a file size of, say, 2.9Mb. If I open the file in AutoCAD and do nothing but ctrl+S and close the file, the file size is now 1.4Mb.

Can anyone explain this? It seems like a good thing at first glance, but anything that is unexplained, IMO, is a potential problem. It seems I'm getting something for nothing. I'm very perplexed.

Beef

When I open in AutoCAD (I'm using 2013), it says "Opening an AutoCAD 2013 format file." So I'm assuming it's 2013. Notepad tells me "AC1027." Not sure if this is the original version or the version used when last saved, but regardless, to me it shouldn't make a difference.

**EDIT

Shouldn't make a difference between original being something and last saved being something else. I assume the last saved would be what is important, e.g. if it was originally created in 2013, last saved in 2000 and then I'm trying to open it in 2013, I imagine that might make a difference. Not saying that what you are asking shouldn't make a difference, ReMark. I just want to clarify that. I think it was a good question.

Edited by Beeftimer

SAVEFIDELITY and LARGEOBJECTSUPPORT are both variables that can affect the filesize, although I doubt the latter would apply based on the size of your drawings.

Also, are you getting any warnings when opening the file, such as missing fonts or shp files?

No warnings. This is exactly what is displayed when the file is opened:

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: ACAD

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: CUSTOM

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: AUTODESKSEEK

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: MODELDOC

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: CONTENTEXPLORER

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: ACFUSION

Customization file loaded successfully. Customization Group: EXPRESS

Opening an AutoCAD 2013 format file.

Regenerating layout.

Regenerating model.

Command:

Command:

AutoCAD menu utilities loaded.

Command: COMMANDLINE

Command:

Autodesk DWG. This file is a TrustedDWG last saved by an Autodesk application or Autodesk licensed application.

Command:

Nothing more, nothing less.

I tried opening the original file and changing the values of both LARGEOBJECTSUPPORT and SAVEFIDELITY and, although they effected the resulting file size slightly, the file was still much smaller after saving than the original file size. Changing those values affected the file size by only about 100kb.

Any other ideas?

IMO, you should just knock on wood and be thankful the drawings are getting smaller and not larger. :lol:

Do you know what version they were previously saved with? Sometime in the last 20 years, AutoCAD changed the default Polyline type and made conversion to the new pline type automatic, but that's not to say a previous used didn't change the variable, so perhaps you're silently and transparently converting all the plines to the newer/more efficient type when the drawing is opened. Admittedly.. it's a long shot.

Care to attach one of the drawings prior to the filesize reduction?

IMO, you should just knock on wood and be thankful the drawings are getting smaller and not larger. :lol:

Do you know what version they were previously saved with? Sometime in the last 20 years, AutoCAD changed the default Polyline type and made conversion to the new pline type automatic, but that's not to say a previous used didn't change the variable, so perhaps you're silently and transparently converting all the plines to the newer/more efficient type when the drawing is opened. Admittedly.. it's a long shot.

Care to attach one of the drawings prior to the filesize reduction?

Haha! Yes, knock on wood, indeed. I don't know of any way to check and see which version it was originally drawn on, but you're probably right. Seems like it would be the only thing that would make sense. I would attach one of the drawings, but I don't know if my company would frown on that or not. I'd better be safe than sorry. It's not that big of a deal since, as you said, they're getting smaller and not larger. As long as it doesn't cause any problems it's really more a matter of my own curiosity anyway. Thanks for your replies. Now I'm going to try and beat the snow home.

Beef

FYI

Version Internal version AutoCAD versions

DWG R1.0 MC0.0 AutoCAD Release 1.0

DWG R1.2 AC1.2 AutoCAD Release 1.2

DWG R1.40 AC1.40 AutoCAD Release 1.40

DWG R2.05 AC1.50 AutoCAD Release 2.05

DWG R2.10 AC2.10 AutoCAD Release 2.10

DWG R2.21 AC2.21 AutoCAD Release 2.21

DWG R2.22 AC1001, AC2.22 AutoCAD Release 2.22

DWG R2.50 AC1002 AutoCAD Release 2.50

DWG R2.60 AC1003 AutoCAD Release 2.60