Table borders

iloilmarketing

I am trying to create a table to use as a Revisions Box for my current drawing and future use. I have the table created with the rows and columns as I would like them.

My issue is I want to match the line thickness of my title block for the table. For the life of me I have tried everything to change the thickness of the lines with no luck.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iloilmarketing

• Dana W

• RobDraw

• BIGAL

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is everything? Have you tried the table style editor? Have you put the table on the same layer as the lineweight you want to use? Have you assigned the borders to the lineweight property of "By Layer" in the table editor?

If you are not using layer controlled lineweights and colors, have you set these properties to the lineweight and color in the table style editor?

Untitled.jpg

Yes, I tried to use the table style editor to change the line weights with no luck. I tried to go to the layer properties of that layer and change the line weight as well with no luck.

Here is a snip of my standard table set up in the table style editor:

Capture.jpg

Hmmm, Layer properties settings, and By Layer table properties would work if you had the table properties set to By layer.

Change ALL the table properties to By Layer, with the possible exception of Text Color, then make sure the table is actually on the layer with the linework you wish to match. Unlike a normal block, a table will take on the properties of whatever layer it is inserted on, even if it was not created on layer 0 (Zero). However, I am not sure what effect the By Block table properties will have, so I don't ever use that setting.

Are you finding this undesired result in the plot, in the plot preview, in paperspace, and/or modelspace? Are you using a color dependent plot style that prints lineweight in response to a color it encounters, or are you plotting object lineweights?

Are you expecting a lineweight change to be visible in model or paperspace? If so, you know that you have to have lineweight display turned on, right? Sorry, somebody always has to ask if there's any gas in the car. ;)

Is it possible to post the drawing here, so we can take a look inside, to see what might be wrong?

I change all settings to By Layer, but the settings just go right back to By Block after I reopen the editor. I was looking at all of this in paper space.

I will upload the drawing for you to review, thanks for your assistance.

TEST2.dwg

It sounds like you may be using the Excel formatting. When you create a table, you have to choose to format it AutoCAD or use Excel formatting. I'm not sure if it works for line thickness. I've never tried it but it sounds like it might with seeing what you are experiencing.

Try changing the lineweights in Excel and reload.

Table Format.jpg

I just used the table command, I don't see the option for AutoCad or Excel.

Is there any way to change the lines with how I have it now? I uploaded the drawing in my last post. I can recreate a new table if needed however I can get the lines to look bold works for me.

When you insert the table and get to the dialog box I am showing, there is a small round button with a ">" symbol. Click that to expand the box to see the options.

Have you tried changing the line thicknesses (or color) in the Excel file like I suggested?

To clarify, I am not inserting anything. I am simply using the table command and creating a brand new table within Autocad.

After creating the table I use the command tablestyle to go into the editor. Click on standard > modify (I chose to use a standard table when creating). I can change the settings within the general and text tabs, but anything I change on the borders tab just goes back right after I click ok and go back into table style editor.

Okay, I see what's going on, now.

See image in post #3 above. After selecting the correct properties, you have to apply them with buttons underneath the selections. You can apply your selection in a variety of ways.

I hope that is enough of an explanation.

Well, here's part of your problem.

The layer Title Block has a lineweight of Default assigned to it, and the title block and border lines are polylines with a specific segment width assigned to them. They appear much wider than the layer property, and will hold that width no matter what layer they are on, and whether or not their lineweight is assigned to By Layer. the polyline segment width property set to greater than zero overrides ALL lineweight control for that polyline.

Tables are not made up of polylines. They are made up of regular lines which cannot have a specific segment width, only a lineweight. The table is matching the layer lineweight of Default whatever that is. The table lines will never match the properties of the polylines that the border and title block are made of as they are now.

You can't see the table lineweights change when it is moved from one layer to another, because ALL your layers are set to the same lineweight. There is no change. If the lineweight properties of the layers are changed, you still won't see any change in paperspace or modelspace unless you have the lineweight display feature turned on, but they will be visible on the hardcopy plot, and in the plot preview.

In order to get your table lines to match the border line polyline lineweight, you need to assign the desired lineweight to the Title Block layer, then edit the properties of the border line to set the start and end segment widths to zero, and set the Global Width to zero, so it will take on whatever lineweight is assigned to the layer.

By the way, the polyline segment width units are in decimal inches, and your Lineweight settings (Options, User PReferences tab) unit is set to millimeters.

If you are going to use the polyline segment width property, your lineweight unit type should match. However, even though I usually draw in Imperial Architectural units, I still use millimeters for my lineweight settings because the adjustments are finer.

I changed everything as I would like it, applied as you stated with the buttons. The settings now stay, but I am not seeing any difference in line weight on all borders as I set up.

I used the command lweight to turn on the display of line weights.

I changed everything as I would like it, applied as you stated with the buttons. The settings now stay, but I am not seeing any difference in line weight on all borders as I set up.

I used the command lweight to turn on the display of line weights.

See post #13.

Thank you Dana, I will review your post and make the appropriate changes. I used a template to import the original title block with the segment widths and poly lines. That is why everything is off like that. I will make the changes as you stated and see where I can get. Thanks again.

Thank you Dana, I will review your post and make the appropriate changes. I used a template to import the original title block with the segment widths and poly lines. That is why everything is off like that. I will make the changes as you stated and see where I can get. Thanks again.
Well, if you used a template, is it a template at your job? If so, you may not have a choice. I am guessing that it is merely one of the AutoCad default templates and you are just trying to get things along.

I found a free title block template online that I have adjusted to fit our needs. I am very new to this so I am trying to get a template that can be our standard moving forward. The company wants a revisions box and that is where I am at currently.

I found a free title block template online that I have adjusted to fit our needs. I am very new to this so I am trying to get a template that can be our standard moving forward. The company wants a revisions box and that is where I am at currently.
Well, you have picked up a ton of information today, so you might be on your way to becoming their AutoCad Guru from now on. :beer::excited:

Okay, I see what's going on, now.

See image in post #3 above. After selecting the correct properties, you have to apply them with buttons underneath the selections. You can apply your selection in a variety of ways.

I hope that is enough of an explanation.

And this was the other half of the solution.