3 tips for beginners

JessicaCAD

This is an answer on Quora about best ways to learn autoCAD, since not everyone is on Quora so I thought I share it here and hopefully someone will find it helpful.

"I'm by no means an AutoCAD expert, but I've done research on how people use it. One thing I learned is that there's a big difference between learning the basics of drafting, and learning workflow-specific knowledge that you might need as a part of working in a given field. You'll probably learn the most if you have a project to work on to guide your learning. That said, here are some good places to learn the basics:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to AutoCAD Basics: HELP

- This gives a nice overview of the basic commands and a mental model for how the commands or organized.

Lynda.com's online video tutorials:

AutoCAD Video Courses and Tutorials from lynda.com

- You have to pay to access the tutorials, but the monthly subscription is pretty affordable if you're just going to need it for a short time.

Lynn Allen's Blog

- More of a place for tips and tricks

You can probably also find blogs and tutorials that might be specific to your profession. For example, there may be specific blogs to learn how to user AutoCAD for mechanical workflows. Or you may want to look into tutorials for AutoCAD Mechanical if you think that's what you'll be using.

You hit on the head you must have a target you are trying to achieve not just learn Autocad, Architect draw a simple house, civil draw concrete beams, mechanical draw a part.

When teaching others lisp would have notes but said put in your bag very 1st question prior to class was what do you want to make never ever did "HELLO WORLD" this way went away with a simple start that they could use.

Also re civil design again a class we want to design this road ok made surface field data picture , question what is dimensions of road, 5 minute delay while attendee went away to ask boss, bit hard to design if you don't know what you want.