Defining 3DSOLIDs in DXF files

andycee

Hello, and apologies for the noob level question ! Beginners Area seems the only place for it...

I'm working on a project that creates a dynamically sized construction from sheet timber materials.

I'd like to get my code to output this design as a DXF file, so it can be imported, viewed and edited in AutoCAD.

I'm struggling at the first hurdle of defining 3D solids in DXF files. I've read many articles on the DXF specification, and am able to use LINE to create simple lines from X1,Y1,Z1 > X2,Y2,Z2 as the format is fairly clear (http://www.autodesk.com/techpubs/autocad/acad2000/dxf/index.htm)

For example..

SECTION
ENTITIES
This is just a line.
LINE
ENDSEC
EOF

However...the definition for 3DSOLID (http://www.autodesk.com/techpubs/autocad/acad2000/dxf/index.htm) is massively vague, just quoting 'Proprietary data (multiple lines)' for presumably the shape data.

What format is this data supposed to be in ?? And indeed, is 3DSOLID the best way to create these objects anyway ?

I did try to work this out by reverse engineering - creating one simple 3D box in AutoCAD and saving it as .DXF.....the resulting file was 98 pages long, and contained 24 LINE references :cry:

Any help or a simple example appreciated !