Dimensions. Paperspace or model space?

hands

Do most of you do your dimensions in model or paper space?

When i was using vanilla autocad I did most of my dimensions in paperspace. I am wondering if this is common practice in AMEP?

I use annotative associative dimensions in modelspace, but of course, it is only relevant to products and/or releases where annotativity is available.

Annotative associative modelspace dimensions solve all the excess baggage issues of each of the other ways.

Paperspace dimensions have an added issue with associativity in that they sometimes revert to measuring paperspace if modifications or moves are made in modelspace. This occurs if one or both nodes didn't quite land exactly on a snap point. The dimension will look fine, until something is changed.

The problems with modelspace dimensions pretty much goes without saying. The need for a different text style, dimension style, and multileader style for every scale one expects to use, ever, is a road I don't travel any more.

We've been placing our dimensions and text in paper space for several years and have never encountered any problems. We are using generic AutoCAD however not MEP.

I was use to do dim in paper space along with all the text etc etc.

But it sometimes played little tricks even if dims where annotative when moving model around.

So in the new place i am they do it all in model space with corresponding scale value according to preset scale. A little different i say bust just a matter of getting use to the new method.

A little more work involve with the new method in my book but no tricks when it comes to move around things dims follows and steady.

Cad here not mep

I use MEP and I place my dims in PS. I don't like to clutter up MS with a bunch of extra stuff. If you have to create multiple views of the same drawing it saves having to turn off the dims layer in every viewport as well. I can see where placing dims in MS when your doing some modeling can be helpful.

AMEP has the project navigator for drawing management. The workflow is supposed to be that you have a model only drawing called a construct. If you are a mechanical guy, this would mean just duct or just pipe and equipment.

Next you have a view drawing. This is where you bring your construct drawings together. This is where you annotate your drawing in modelspace.

Next you bring your modelspace views onto your sheets in the built in sheetset manager.

Dimensions don't always stay associative in the view Xref. But you can't dimmension in the construct because there is no background Arch drawing that is "attached" to the construct. You "overlay" your background drawings in the construct. This way they don't go with the drawing when you set up your "view" drawings. You don't use paperspace at all until you get to the sheet drawing.

Most contractors I see don't use project navigator at all. They use AMEP In a more traditional way. From what I see they do there dimensioning in modelspace and use the layout tabs for their sheets.

Project Navigator is a powerful tool, and I think it should be used.