AMEP workflow and templates?

hands

I am curious about what people using MEP styles(not software styles. just your day to day) are?

If you are using MEP would you mind detailing a little bit about how you go about your day? You first template, vs your current? Styles and Routing preferences? Visual styles and workspaces? Latest thing you learned? Last time you got stuck on something?

Basically an open ended discussion. I am just trying to learn as much as I can, and would like to hear from the community.

Years ago when I still used AMEP, the main thing I changed from the default Template was the hideous air diffuser blocks in Plan View to a more symbolic one, and added functional data such as TOD/BOD tags, etc. I pretty much left the Template by itself as it was good enough. I would add a few more Duct and Pipe Styles as needed but they had plenty set up. Somewhere in this forum I created a few fancy-pants unistrut hangers that I was proud of. That was great for BIM coordination.

But, I have long since moved to Revit MEP and glad I did. I haven't actively used AutoCAD MEP in probably 5 years.

Years ago when I still used AMEP, the main thing I changed from the default Template was the hideous air diffuser blocks in Plan View to a more symbolic one, and added functional data such as TOD/BOD tags, etc. I pretty much left the Template by itself as it was good enough. I would add a few more Duct and Pipe Styles as needed but they had plenty set up. Somewhere in this forum I created a few fancy-pants unistrut hangers that I was proud of. That was great for BIM coordination.

But, I have long since moved to Revit MEP and glad I did. I haven't actively used AutoCAD MEP in probably 5 years.

I have a student copy of revit as well. Looking to learn both. I have a little bit of real world experience with AMEP, but not much. It seems like the answer is to learn it all.

Na, you don't have to learn it all... just depends on your situation. Revit will give you way more employment opportunity. Revit and the VDC/BIM process has become the norm in this industry. There's not many people that fully utilize AMEP other than small isolated design teams or a one-man-show CAD department.