Selecting Hatch

CADbadger

I am currently using Autocad 2006 on a good spec PC.

when I select a hatch within any drawing in order to edit it the drawing will freeze for a long period of time. The length of time appears to be related to the complexity of the selected hatch.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the selection process?

You may want to try adjusting your visual effects settings so that AutoCAD doesn't highlight certain large objects when you hover over them. Try this:

Go to Tools - Options - Selection tab

Pick the visual effects settings button and then advanced options. In this menu you can exclude several different types of memory heavy objects i.e. xrefs, hatches, and long lines of mtext from being highlighted and slowing your computer down.

Hope that helps

I'm not sure what you mean cadtech, and I do not know how to change the settings you have referred to.

If you could explain how to set that variable to minimum I'll give it a go.

I have had a look at the selection settings with no success TTalbot.

Thanks

I am currently using Autocad 2006 on a good spec PC.

when I select a hatch within any drawing in order to edit it the drawing will freeze for a long period of time. The length of time appears to be related to the complexity of the selected hatch.

Is there anything I can do to speed up the selection process?

After I post yesterday about your problem I was reading about hatching and its influence in the speed of the drawing in general, and certainly many kinds of hatching slow your drawing a lot, your problem is when you try to modify the hatch only??, or is in general when the drawing try to make a regen??, how much RAM have your PC??, to speed your drawing in general you can try viewers as I write you yesterday, just type viewers at the command line, yes, and then 1 or a low value, another thing you can try is turning off the fill, to do that type fill in the command line and turn it off, now if your problem is that the pc frezze when your trying to change the properties of a hatch probably u have low memory ram or the page file of your HD is not big enough, I hope this help:)

cadtech

To answer the questions you posted

Yes the problem only occurs when I try to edit hatch.

The PC I'm running autocad 2006LT on has 2gb of DDR2 RAM-800mhz.

Typing viewers at the command line results in a unknown command error.

Any further suggestion would be gratefully received

Thanks

• 2 years later...

Im bringing this old dog back to life so I can possibly save any of you the trouble of figuring this out like I had to. If none of the aforementioned ideas work for you, try doing a drawing cleanup (i use civil 3d and the command is MAPCLEAN....i dont know what you other users would use but im sure you can find it somewhere)

My issue was that the hatch boundary was too complex...I just erased the hatches and did a cleanup on the polylines used as my boundary. There were way too many verticies. Drawing cleanup just created verticies every 10 feet (you can specify the distance you want) and deleted the old verticies. I rehatched using the new polylines. PROBLEM SOLVED

MAPCLEAN (civil 3d users)

map1.jpg

I had a similar problem with a hatch on a complex shape, what I ended up doing to fix the problem was to draw a series of temporary lines through the shape to break it up into a series of simpler shapes, then hatched them all individually, removing the temporary lines when I was done. Probably not the most efficient solution, but it worked for me.