AutoCAD to SketchUp

vibi

I really need help to transfer my home plans from Autocad 2006 to SketchUp (free version). I plan to build the house and I need some interior ideas (materials........). I don't have time to learn more about SketchUp, I'm really in rush. If somebody have time to do that for me I'll be grateful. I can send attach dwg.

how can you not learn SketchUp while knowing AutoCAD? lol it's about the easiest program i've probably ever used, next to Word or Email....

just import your dwg's into SketchUp, and voila.... :-)

I know it's the easiest program on the world but I imported my plans into SkectUp but probably I missed some steps because I can't use push/pull command................Probably I'm to occupied with all staff about building home so I'm getting dumb.

Thanx Jimmy

ok no problem but you wont be able to push pull straight away. The best way apart from using a ruby is to delete one of the lines and re draw it. That will make the part of the wall a solid and you will be able to push/pull it.

hope that helps.

:D

Jimmy's advise is sound but one way I do it is to use the ACAD lines as a "reference" and just draw on top of these with clean, SU lines. There is even a ruby script to help with the "joining" of ACAD lines in SU but there will still be some clean-up to do. Best of luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a little late for this but if you have good cad technique, there should be no need for redrawing every line.

I usually take a cad drawing, save as... clean it up (just walls etc...) then bring it into SU. Then use the "make faces" ruby and all your cad lines will close in. Then start pushin' & pullin'.

Hope that helps.

Maybe a little late for this but if you have good cad technique, there should be no need for redrawing every line.

I usually take a cad drawing, save as... clean it up (just walls etc...) then bring it into SU. Then use the "make faces" ruby and all your cad lines will close in. Then start pushin' & pullin'.

Hope that helps.

**slaps self on forehead** i knew there was an easier way :)

BTW:

http://cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8392

in this thread there is a few links to add on to your "Materials" very good :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Hope that helps.

Sorry to jump in this thread but i just read what you said and i was wondering where the 'make faces' is on SketchUp? I imported a file from AutoCAD and wanted to try that method you mentioned. Im really new to SketchUp (only used it a little since lastweek). But i looked for that tool and cant find it.

EDIT: Its ok, i just found out how to download the plugin. I tried but it didnt work on what i wanted but i've heard that sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt lol.

Ashleigh

Sorry I did not see this until now. Very busy and very sick. Not a good combination.

Glad you found the script.

The thing about bringing Acad into SU is your Acad needs to be very "Clean".

All lines connecting, everything flattened, etc... Otherwise the make faces ruby script does not help much.

Sorry I did not see this until now. Very busy and very sick. Not a good combination.

Glad you found the script.

The thing about bringing Acad into SU is your Acad needs to be very "Clean".

All lines connecting, everything flattened, etc... Otherwise the make faces ruby script does not help much.

Aww i hope your ok now.

Yeah the lines need to be like perfect- mine musnt of been because it didnt work. I tried to make every flat too but it still didnt work. I gave up on that and just started a sketchup model version of it from scratch,lol.

Ashleigh

• 3 years later...
What format do you import Auto CAD files into skecthup (Free version)?

See that's the problem with the current version. Google in their infinite wisdom decided to remove the import DWG option from the current version of SU. You can download and install DoubleCAD XT which can open a DWG and then save as a .skp file. You can then open this in SU. I kept SUv7 on my system as to not lose the import DWG option although I don't use SUv8 much as I really did not see any new features that I just could not do without.

Opinion: Google buying @Last was the best and worst thing that could have happened to SU.

is it possible to download sketchup 7 somewhere? this will import dwg (autocad drawings)
You will need the import DWG addon.

Here is SU 7 Pro which will revert to the free version after 8 hours, get it before it is gone. - link

Import DWG add-on. - link

• 1 month later...