Raster Design Question

justwayne

Hi everyone. I downloaded the student version of Autocad as I want to draw some basic brackets. I also downloaded the raster addition.

I have imported a jpeg image and using the Raster Entity Manipulation menu, can get the outline of my bracket and the holes in it, "traced" by creating primitive lines and circles etc. However, the original image underneath the vector lines is still visible. Watching several videos online, the image line disappears automatically.

Once I have my outline using the REM functions, how do I get rid of the original image underneath?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Select *only* the image. As a walkaround for futurer works: import the image and draw the geometry on a different layer, than change the visibility of your layers as needed.

I tried that and the whole lot disappears
There is no way that the lines and objects you drew on top of the image will erase, if all you selected was the image.

I tried that and the whole lot disappears

If you select it with a crossing window, it will all disappear.

Turn on SELECTION CYCLING, and try again selecting by clicking on one of your lines.

When the drop down selection cycling dialog opens, choose whatever it is you mean to select.

Thanks for the input but I still can't get it to work. I've never used Autocad before so I'm not familiar with any of the commands.

All I'm trying to do is import a picture of a simple bracket, trace around it, then remove the image so I can work with the traced vector image. So far, I can successfully insert the image using the insert command under the Raster tab, convert it to bitonal and then "trace" the bracket by creating primitive lines and circles under the REM menu. I've tried creating the lines and circles on a different layer but when I then hide the original image layer, I'm left with the same blurry raster lines with the vector lines and circles over them.

I have no idea what I'm doing (obviously, lol) so would somebody mind writing a quick step by step for me please?

I think the problem is that you're using those REM tools instead of the standard AutoCAD tools for tracing over the image. I think most of us would insert the image and then draw lines over top of the image, on a different layer, and then detach the image when we're done. We do not have those Raster Design tools here at the office and I have never used them so I'm not sure how to solve the problem you're having with them.

• 2 weeks later...

You really don't even need to use the Raster design tools. You could just trace over the image after you have made primitives and delete all the primitives when your done leaving you with only your new vector lines.