How to open someone else's assembly/project, or how to import a project?

setspeed

I'm really new to Inventor (and CAD in general), I've only learnt how to create a few part and an assembly. I'm unsure on how 'projects' work exactly, and everything else in general.

I have a folder (sent to me by someone else) which contains an .ipj project file, that is made up of an assembly of different parts. All the .ipt files and an assembly file is also included.

What is the best most logical way for me to go about opening this assembly, in a new project of my own, so that I can work editing it? I've tried a few things myself (mostly just stabbing in the dark) but since I don't know what I'm doing, I highly doubt I'll stumble across what I need to do.

I also want it the parts to be assembled as the creator intended them to be assembled.

I realise that my question is probably not worded correctly due to my own ignorance, and for that I apologise! Hopefully you will know what I mean/what I'm trying to do, and can help :)

Why do you need to make a new project?

Simply make the existing project the active project.

If you really really really want a new project then copy and rename and use.