block insertion scale - x 25.4 wrong size

designerstuart

hi clever peeps

i have two drawings - the same in every respect except one that i cannot find. when i INSERT blocks to one they come in 25.4 times too small. clearly this is the fault of those pesky old-fashioned stick-in-the-mud imperial unit users..... who will probably be the ones to solve my problem :oops:

format > units > units to scale inserted content

is set to mm in both drawings and the block being inserted.

what have i missed, please? drawings (hopefully) attached. thanks all.

block insertion scale right.dwg

block insertion scale wrong.dwg

Each drawing uses different units. One uses decimal inches while the other uses millimeters. The "right" version is metric.

What version of AutoCAD are you using?

Be sure to check INSUNITS

Are the blocks annotative?

Specifies a drawing-units value for automatic scaling of blocks, images, or xrefs inserted or attached to a drawing.

Note

The INSUNITS setting is ignored when inserting annotative blocks into a drawing.

Alternately you can set INSUNITS to 0 and use a couple of other Sysvars.

Also check INSUNITSDEFSOURCE

Sets source content units value when INSUNITS is set to 0.

Valid range is 0 to 20.

INSUNITSDEFTARGET

Sets target drawing units value when INSUNITS is set to 0.

Valid range is 0 to 20.

Does your version have -DWGUNITS?

clearly this is the fault of those pesky old-fashioned stick-in-the-mud imperial unit users..... who

... don't have a choice on which system to use.

clearly this is the fault of those pesky old-fashioned stick-in-the-mud imperial unit users..... who will probably be the ones to solve my problem :oops:

It could also be due to someone not knowing how to use AutoCAD, started a drawing with the wrong template, but drew something to the correct number of units.

These peeps exist all over the place.

ok it's a good start.... INSUNITS is set to 0 in one, and 4 in t'other.

but i change it to 0, doesn't help!

remark - how do you know it is set to inches? i always thought the way to change this is the format>units route i showed. googling seemed to confirm this?

SLW - this time on 2014 vanilla. not annotative blocks.

yes, -DWGUNITS worked! how have i not used this command before? seems to be super powerful!

thanks all.

eldon - i think you are mostly right - someone stripped out a foreign drawing, but clearly not well enough. they should have known about -DWGUNITS. ;)

How did I know? Simple....-dwgunits. Ran it on both drawings. I am surprised you did not think of it yourself.
ha! if only i'd known the command. another lesson from the CT team. thanks chaps

It could also be due to someone not knowing how to use AutoCAD, started a drawing with the wrong template, but drew something to the correct number of units.

These peeps exist all over the place.

I'd actually go so far as to suggest that the people who do it properly are the real "trouble makers" because they're out-numbered by those who don't!

dJE