Dynamic Block to move attributes...

lamensterms

Hi guys,

Just after a little assistance setting up a (hopefully simple) dynamic block.

The block is an RL indicator, and I would like to be able to switch the block display to above & below the indicated line. Please see attached image for example.

RL Block.jpg

I have been playing with visibility states, which seems to work ok by hiding/showing all elements except attributes. The triangle is a polyline, the green text is text & the magenta text is an attribute.

What I have been doing is copying the text & attribute and have alternative visibility states for each 'mode' (standard/upside down). The attributes don't seem to like this.

Just wondering if someone could please set me straight on how I should be going about this?

Thanks a lot for any help.

-------EDIT-------

I should mention that I have the basepoint of the block set to where the triangle meets the line, so I would like to have the block flip about this point.

Thanks again.

Using 2 attributes and linking the values has it's own set of problems, I would just use a flip action, and a point parameter (that is chained to the flip action), the text and attribute move with the point, but do NOT include them in the flip selection set. I've attached an example because it's easier than trying to explain all the points, if it's any good then ask if you can't see how parts of it are put together. You could turn of the point grip so it doesn't show up in your drawing, but it does allow you too move the text if you want !

Flip.dwg

Ah, that's great Steven, thanks a lot for that.

I'll take a loot at playing around with the locations & base points - I've got another attribute to add.

It provides me with a great start though, I'll post back after I have had a good look & I'll also read up on the flip action.

Thanks again.

Edited by lamensterms

Hi again Steven,

Upon a second look, I have realised I would like to have some other changes between the 'standard' & 'upside down' versions of this block. I didn't appreciate this in the beginning - but I would like to vary the line spacing between a second line I have introduced. Please see image below for clearer explanation.

The dimensions will not be part of the block, I just included them to highlight what I was getting at with the line spacing.

RL Block 2.jpg

I guess what I'm really looking for is a way to have 2 (or more) different display modes for dynamic blocks with attributes. I have played around a little with dynamic blocks in the past, and had always used visibility states. But as you say, duplicating the attributes can cause issues.

Thanks again for your help.

This is getting into very specific detail, when I get problems like this, I find it best to start as you have by drawing things out and make copies to show all the variations, then look at the different ways you can get to the results you want. As you say visibility states is an option, but it does have it's own problems, using flip chained to a point works for the top line of text, but adding in the second of text looks to need a different kind of action that would maybe a stretch, so that would probably need chaining to the point move (but not the flip). As soon as things start to look complicated it is best to stop and start again, and try and find a simpler method. Basically you want to flip the triangle and move two seperate items. When you have a whole range of parameters that need to be changed together, you have a few options, Visibility state, chaining actions, possibly a lookup, or a block properties table. And the block properties table looks to me like the simplest method, for this case. It again has it's own set of problems - there can only be one per block, and when you have a lot of things going on it can soon get really complicated.

So having said all that, attached is an example just using a couple of text items that can be changed independantly, depending on the flip action, see what you think to it and if it works as you need, then you can add in attributes in place of the text items. And you can alter the positioning of the items as you want, in the block properties table.

Flipineck.dwg

Hi Steven,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help further. Great explanation of my options, and I think you have hit the nail on the head by directing me toward (an supplying me with an example of) the Block Properties Table.

That's is exactly what I'm looking for. And seems quite logical (I have been struggling to get my head around how a lot of the functions/actions of dynamical blocks). I've still got so much to learn, so thanks for the great pointers.

I'll post back with my finished block, which I reckon will be almost identical to the one you have provided (funnily enough).

Thanks again.

--------EDIT-------

Got the block pretty well sorted, thanks again Steven.

RL Block.dwg

Edited by lamensterms

Well done, looks like you are getting the hang of it, as you can see there are often a variety of ways of getting to the end result.

By the way - I have to say it is nice to get well thought out questions, with enough detail and images to be able to give a properly directed answer.

@SLW210

Visibility States is definately an option but it does mean having to to double up on the attributes, along with a workaround for having the same value in both sets.

Haha, thanks Steven. I'm a professional RFI/TQ writer.

I have also been looking into visibility states with duplicate attributes (and a FIELD in one). But I am more than happy with the solution you have provided.

Thanks again.