Color Change in Multiple Layer States

brandon85

Hi All,

I have been looking for a while for an answer to my problem. I need to be able to change the color of a layer over multiple layer states. Currently I need to go into each individual layer state (where the job will be active) and change the color of the layer and then save the layer state. Each layer state is a month of the year and each layer is a upcoming or current job on the shop floor. I want jobs that have been started to be in the default white color and upcoming jobs to be in a different color (was thinking orange).

This way I can see what jobs can still be moved around and which jobs are bolted to the ground. When I transfer a new job to the working file it is in white but will need to change them to orange. I want all upcoming jobs to be in orange until they become an active job. It is very repetitive to have to go into each layer state for each layer. Any suggestions? I am hoping it is a simple solution with some settings, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks

Not sure with regards to layer states specifically but I personally wouldn't use them. Perhaps look at using xrefs or simply just good layer management instead? E.g. you could preface each job in the layer names, so 1423_ layers are for job 1423, 9865_ layers are for job 9865 etc.

Do you do have all jobs setup in one .dwg file?

The files are already set up, I am taking over the files from someone else. As of now the files are broken up into Jan-June 2015 and July to Dec 2015 up until 2018. So each job is in its own layer in the corresponding .dwg file while it is being built. Each job has a different start date and a different end date. Each job is in its own layer and named after its job number as you have referenced. I want to be able to toggle between black and orange without having to go into each layer state each time. If a job hasn't started yet we still have the ability to move it around if a new job comes in and fits better in that spot to better utilize space. Typically we have 20-50 layers/jobs, so going through each layer state each time a job is added or bolted to the ground is very repetitive.

I freeze layers/jobs in months where the job is not anticipated to start or after it has shipped so it only shows up on months where it is being built. I like using layer states for this purpose, I can easily switch between months to see what the available floor space of the plant is forecasted.

And yes all jobs are in each .dwg file, when we get a new job we copy it directly into the file, none of the jobs are xrefs.

Edited by brandon85

I decided to use the block editor to change the color of all the objects within each block itself. I was hopnig to find a better option, but this method changes the color over all the layer states.

Thanks