Turn layers on/off within a block

bleeargh

What's the toggle that allows you to turn individual layers on/off within a block rather than the layer that the block is currently on going on/off. Is this possible? I do it with xrefs all the time.

I think he wants to turn off the layer by selecting the entity in the block. You can do that with XREFs.
Well, yeah. But I was assuming the OP new you can't select individual elements within a block like you can an xref, so I went for going to the layer first.

Is there a way to do it the way you would an xref element?

I wasn't clear. I use the "layer off" button within the express tools layer options to turn entities off within xrefs. I do this all the time for an electrical engineer client of mine when setting up his sheets. He doesn't need many of the architectural entities that exist within an architectural floor plan. So I simply turn these off with the afor mention tool. Just to shake things up I inserted the Mechanical Engineers mech. stuff into the drawing as a block. I found that I couldn't turn individual entities off within the block like I do with xrefs. I thought maybe there was a command toggle that I have long since forgotten. :)

Anyway, lesson learned, I inserted the mech stuff as an xref. Problem solved.

I wasn't clear. I use the "layer off" button within the express tools layer options to turn entities off within xrefs. I do this all the time for an electrical engineer client of mine when setting up his sheets. He doesn't need many of the architectural entities that exist within an architectural floor plan. So I simply turn these off with the afor mention tool. Just to shake things up I inserted the Mechanical Engineers mech. stuff into the drawing as a block. I found that I couldn't turn individual entities off within the block like I do with xrefs. I thought maybe there was a command toggle that I have long since forgotten. :)

Anyway, lesson learned, I inserted the mech stuff as an xref. Problem solved.

Well, OK then. I was on the right track. Naah, ya can't select individual entities inside of a block except in the block editor, but you did solve it the correct way. That is a lot easier than memorizing all the layers inside the block by color.