Linetype thickness

kbgooner

I have a .lin file containing some simple line types to represent road markings i.e. 6 metre line with a 3metre gap or 4 metre line with a 2 metre gap...

Is it possible to add a thickness to the line?

Currently i draw a polyline then have to change the global width to 100mm to represent a road centre line for instance, but is it possible to edit the .lin file so that the line automatically comes in at 100mm?

I don't think lineweights go up to 100mm. The top end is 2.11mm

I think you are stuck with the polyline scenario. You can select all of them at once and assign the global width with the properties dialog.

Course you can always draw 50 lines 2mm apart, and put them on a layer with 2.00mm lineweight.;)

Thanks for the replies. I have to admit I did think it was a bit of a long shot, I guess I'll have to stick with my current method

I did read something about that and apparently it can be managed through the express tools. I must confess that i did try but it didnt work for me. I managed to create a shape file but couldnt work out how to convert that to a line type

Hmm... still not getting it.

My shape file does not work, i used a 6 metre line with a global width of 100mm but when i use the shape comand to insert it, i just get a line with no width.

Yeah, that's because the width of the polyline is not recognized by the MKSHAPE command. There's a work-around but the results I got in a quick test are not entirely satisfactory. I may have to experiment more.

My first two attempts yielded the following results. I've circled, in red, what I consider to be the unsatisfactory portions of each linetype. I'm pretty sure the problem can be solved but I'll need another eight cups of coffee before my mind is even semi-functional. Created using MKSHAPE and MKLTYPE commands.

CustomThickLine.jpg

We have around 6 linetypes dedicated to road line marking these have been set up to match the authority lengths between sections, but again we just make a pline with a width. For statcon give way and stop you have the same spacing but the width is different 300 & 600.

Like Remarks problem the linetypes do have a mind of their own sometimes, we rely pretty heavy on the guys that actually paint the lines to work the spacing on-site as they do it every day.

A different method is to use solid in a repeating pattern with length, width & spacing but its a pain to edit.

PS we use a road linetype "equal" for our drainage as well and make them 2.3m long to indicate roughly number of pipes with pipe diameter as width.

Search here also for Chevron.lsp it draws traffic island chevrons.

I have a bolt on software that allows me to create chevrons from selecting 2 base polylines. the same software also generates roadmarkings from polylines but it doesnt group them. Once you convert the polyline it breaks it into multiple lines of the correct lengths / spaces / thicknesses.

This is a great piece of kit but we deal a lot with temporary situations throughout construction so often have to move the line locations as the work progresses. When you have for instance 2kms of individual 6 metre lines to move its a bit tedious to say the least.

That is my reason for trying to create my own linetypes

Bigal

Not sure exactly what you mean there...

If i draw a 2km polyline and use the roadmarking software to convert to what we know as a 1004.1 (ref of roadmarking) which is a road centre line of 6mtrs long with 3mtrs gap 100mm wide, the software itself breaks the initial polyline into approx. 222 individual 6mtr polylines.

The polylines once converted are correct as per requirement but they are individual so if you wish later to relocate them, it takes forever.