Z Axis - How to keep geometry on "0"

Guitte

Hi,

Im not quite sure and need some advice or help. How do i keep the Z-axis on 0 in an existing drawing? What happens is, when i want to trim my lines it doesn't want to trim, when i select the line, right click i find under geometry that my z-axis end or start or both have a value. To check i draw a line, it had a -51 value under z geometry. How do i fix this and will everything change when i select my USC icon and do the whole 0,0,0?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Guitte

• ReMark

• steven-g

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

See if this helps...http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?60725-How-to-default-Z-into-0-elevation

Also, for drawings that need flattened create a button macro with

^C^C_UCS;;_move _all;;0,0,1e99;;_move _all;;0,0,-1e99;;_chprop;_all;;_thickness;0;;

I'd be curious as to how some of your geometry ends up having a "Z" of something other than 0. What is the source of the drawings? Do they come from outside the company?

I thought it was difficult to create 3D geometry in LT unless you are OSNAPing to pre-existing 3D geometry. Are you working with files generated by others that have 3D stuff in them that you might be OSNAPing to?

You mention the UCS. Are you changing it? If so, how?

Im using 2D ACADLT, flatten i think can only be used in 3D?

ReMark, its the companies profiles. Some of the tiny details like the strut bolt we got from the supplier in ACAD format, not sure i that will have any affect on my glass and mullion lines which are the vertical lines.

Hi RobDraw, no im not changing the UCS. I search help command tells me to right click on the UCS and set the Z-Axis. Not sure that is the right thing to do. Its allot of work, if i stuff that up, ill rather seek advice before changing.

Flatten could be used on a 2D object. Because you are using LT I'd suggest the macro that was mentioned previously (see post #2).

Re: strut bolt. As you come across the use of these blocks why don't you fix them before using them in your drawings by making sure all the geometry has a "Z" of "0"?

Another option for flattening geometry in LT would be to use the old command CHANGE > Properties > Elevation.

I have to say that is one seriously messed up drawing.

That one little section of what I am sure is a much larger drawing has 14908 objects. There's no good reason why that should be.

How can I fix this messed up drawing?

I'd start over from scratch but before I did I'd put someone to work fixing all of the blocks being used so that they are all drawn at 1:1 scale and the basepoints were actually on the objects themselves not way off in space somewhere.

How can that be, cause i have used -Purge and overkill?

The very first command I ran on the drawing was Overkill. It reported back the 14908 objects count. Many objects that I thought should be blocks are merely made up of individual lines and arcs. All those tiny lines and arcs start to add up quickly.

Be careful using the macro mentioned before, it works differently to the flatten command in full autocad, and in most cases it's ok, but it can have strange effects and in this case it does - the problem is with arcs usually and you also have a few blocks that have odd geometry that won't flatten.

I was thinking of making a block at each slab detail. then i have to draw all the vertical lines in separately.

You have what appears to be three slab details two of which are drawn at the same scale while the third appears to be drawn at a larger scale. Correction: That is not the case.

Also, the two that appear to be drawn at the same scale have a small portion of their geometry (dashed blue lines) that don't line up. Is that intentional as well?

There are two blocks (aluminum extrusions) that appear to have been drawn at a much larger scale. Did those blocks come from another source (i.e. - not drawn in-house)?

Edited by ReMark

No, everything are or should be scale 1:1. There are 3 different types of slab details. The blue dash line which is hidden lines (if we both are on the same page) is a bracket, which is fixed on the slab. All the aluminium comes from our library.

How do you see 14908 objects?

What do you suggest i do? Make of the 3 different types of slab details each a block of and then draw all the vertical lines? That should make the object count less, but wont solve the geometry. And even though i make a block of each, the geometry will still be a mess in the block itself, right?