Importing .xyz into AutoCAD

NOVICECADGUY

Good afternoon,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to import ASCII files (.xyz extension) into AutoCAD. The end goal is to take survey data from the field and import it such that I have a color coded contour map in plan view that I can give to a client. Up to now most all of my drafting has been 2D so there is a learning curve. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Sorry Gazza_au but bringing in points does not make a surface, even in LT you can bring lots of points in in one go. The OP wants contours for this you need a TIN a triangular irregular network, now contours do not really exist, that got some attention ! Contours are a interpretation of a TIN and displayed in some form, yes you can convert contours to Autocad objects but they are not contours, In CIV3D a contour is a proxy object and can be changed at will again a interpritive object.

Again need a surface modelling software plenty available for Autocad.

After spending some time browsing the internet and talking with other people I can give you a better idea of what I have and what I need. I now have civil3d at my disposal so if there is a quick easy way to import point data in civil3d that would be awesome. The workflow goes like this:

-receive data that is in NAD 83 UTM format

-reproject data to survey feet (I think global mapper software is capable of reprojection??)

-import new (reprojected) data into civil3d

-create a contour map in plan view (model space) and keep standard title block in paper space

-plot to PDF and call it a day

I have very limited exposure to civil3d but am pretty knowledgeable about the AutoCAD interface in respect to 2D drafting. I guess I need to research .tin files and go from there but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

After spending some time browsing the internet and talking with other people I can give you a better idea of what I have and what I need. I now have civil3d at my disposal so if there is a quick easy way to import point data in civil3d that would be awesome. The workflow goes like this:

-receive data that is in NAD 83 UTM format

-reproject data to survey feet (I think global mapper software is capable of reprojection??)

-import new (reprojected) data into civil3d

-create a contour map in plan view (model space) and keep standard title block in paper space

-plot to PDF and call it a day

I have very limited exposure to civil3d but am pretty knowledgeable about the AutoCAD interface in respect to 2D drafting. I guess I need to research .tin files and go from there but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

All of that can be done in Civil 3D, read the tutorials and help files. Then if you have questions post them in the Civil 3d group.

You are on the money, a couple of comments a buggy thing make sure you have contour styles in the template that you use else you will not see contours. HEY MR AUTODESK why not in default dwt. Making contour styles on the fly is painfull if you have none.

You may be able to import direct NAD 83 UTM do a bit of a google.

It should take about 10 minutes max.

Thanks for all the help thus far...I managed to import my surface and played with some of the settings. The only thing I haven't figured out how to do that I need done is after I have a surface colored based on depth of sounding, I want to add contour lines that run along the edge of elevation changes and have depth labels on them. I have figured out how to make my surface a contour map with sounding labels and I have figured out how to color my surface (2D Banding). I just can't seem to figure out how to overlay contours and labels onto a colored surface.

I have not seen a dual display style so they way around here would be to do your contours then export the contours to plines, same with your lables, redo the rainbow, and contours should still appear.