Joining lines ready for cam

colincjwhite

When using autocad I understand there is a pedit function for joining lines together. I believe this is what our design office use before handing over the drawing to me (CAM).

Quite often when the geometry comes into cam the lines are not actually joined. This means a tool path will not run around the geometry.

Has anyone come across this issue and if so, solved it?

Regards

Colin

You did not mention what version of AutoCAD was being used. In AutoCAD 2015 there is an Express Tools command called MPEDIT. Using this version of the PEDIT command with the JOIN option gives the user one additional option and that is they can adjust the "fuzz factor" which can assist in closing up the gaps. From AutoCAD Help re: MPEDIT.

The fuzz factor prompt in the Join option is a value that allows a series of objects with endpoints that are not precisely coincident to still be joined together into a single polyline. The result is that the equivalent of a Fillet operation with radius 0 is performed on the objects to be joined.

If it is not your job to fix the drawings, send it back and tell the CAD guys to make sure they are all joined before the submit to you. Otherwise. you will have to close them yourself.

Using QSelect, you can select all the polylines and close them in the properties box. This may yield unexpected/incorrect results depending on how they were drawn, so a review of the affected polylines is in order.