Any help please on a UCS matter. I am also happy ot pay for some face to face help.

IlikeCAD

Hi everyone,

I am very sorry to bother you guys but I have an issue here. I am trying to teach myself to draw in 3D in 3D modelling AutoCAD. The issue is when I attempt to draw a rectangle by picking a point typing 1.0 , 1.2 and then enter one corner seems to end up in the UCS meeting point and looks huge on the screen. If I use the circle command all is normal. I have no idea what has happened and I am perplexed by it to be honest. That, said I feel a fool for asking something that I feel may be a silly error.

I am also looking to pay the going rate for some tuition on 3D modelling (South coast of England) as I am yet to get a basic grasp of it. Happy to pay just need a little help please.

Many thanks to all that have read this and can help.

Steve

I am very sorry to bother you guys but I have an issue here. I am trying to teach myself to draw in 3D in 3D modelling AutoCAD. The issue is when I attempt to draw a rectangle by picking a point typing 1.0 , 1.2 and then enter one corner seems to end up in the UCS meeting point and looks huge on the screen. If I use the circle command all is normal. I have no idea what has happened and I am perplexed by it to be honest. That, said I feel a fool for asking something that I feel may be a silly error.

To draw a rectangle, you want to specify the first corner point by clicking on screen or typing in the X,Y location. To specify the other corner point, you need to type in @1.0,1.2. The "@" symbol tells Autocad to place the other corner point at 1.0,1.2 relative to the first corner point.

Command: RECTANG

Specify first corner point or [Chamfer/Elevation/Fillet/Thickness/Width]: (Point Clicked on Screen)

Specify other corner point or [Area/Dimensions/Rotation]: @1.0,1.2

You might want to take some time and go through the tutorials in the link below. There's a lot of good information about the basics of the program to be found there.

http://www.mycadsite.com/tutorials/index.htm

Welcome to Cadtutor.

There's no apologize or think your question is "silly". Without previous instruction, even the most basic operations can seem unintuitive.

My first guess is that you may be in a mode that's using Absolute Coordinates. Try turning on Dynamic Input (F12), This will cause AutoCAD to draw the "next point" relative to the first point.

Absolute vs Relative Coords.gif

Dear Cad64,

Many thanks for your help. I tried what you said and it worked but I never remember using the "@" sign before for that. I must be going backwards with my learning, not for long I hope! I will have a re-run through the lessons you gave a link to.

Thank you very much

Steve

Dear nestly,

Thank you for your msg, welcoming and help. I appreciate you kindly making a demonstration to show me how I went wrong and I see what I did now. Your demonstration was clear and really useful, I spent a long time trying to suss things out. Yes, I find some of the simple thing tricky to grasp, I hope I improve as I go on.

Many thanks

Steve